Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'89 Carrera - Complete brake failure today....then "heals" itself??

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010 | 12:04 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

I didn't call anyone stupid, I said the advice was.

Brakes going spongy and then completely to the floor is a very common problem at track events, and 99% of the time it is caused by boiled brake fluid. It's happened to me more than once, and it happened to me and several others two weeks ago. In all cases, the brakes come back after cooling down, and replacing the fluid is the ONLY thing you need to do in those cases. I have much experience in this area. Go back and read Douglas Bray's post (sorry for calling you out DB) where he says to replace THE ENTIRE BRAKE SYSTEM when he has NO IDEA WHAT THE PROBLEM MAY HAVE BEEN. What an unbelievable waste of money that would be. Take a look and see if you can find a fault? Naw, don't bother to check anything, just spend $1,000 and replace everything. Oh, and if your wheel bearings are loose, your entire brake system must be shot!

Now, if you want to replace your rubber brake lines because they're 25 years old, then I certainly support that regardless of whether any brake problem occurred or not - that's an item that will fail eventually as the rubber deteriorates.

I solve problems for a living. I'm a professional troubleshooter. I do it 5 days a week. The methodology is:

1. Understand the issue.
2. Determine the cause.
3. Propose the solution.
4. Execute the solution.

Notice that 3 comes AFTER 2. You guys are doing #3 before #2 and probably even before #1. That's a very inefficient and needlessly expensive approach.
Old 07-03-2010 | 01:45 PM
whalebird
Race Car

If you take exception to Mr. Brays post, say so and post your logical counterpoints with a little tact and respect. My problem is that you assert that "we" don't have the FOGGIEST idea, or that "we" are doing #3 before #2 on your corn-ball logic chain. As for #1, that's your brazen mistake. I'll spare myself the effort of posting my credentials, sufice it to say that I have had decades of experiance and training at the highest level in the Porsche industry. My analytics are intact and I still learn something everyday from our fellow rennlisters. Furthermore, for you to postulate that wheel bearings will make the brake pedal go to the floor and that your brakes continuously fail at the track indicates that you're a fail at your #1, #2, 3 and 4.
This thread is another example of your M.O. You seem full of wit and wisdom when your pud-whacking in the off topic forums, but offer nothing but bold contrary with your hit-and-run posts in the technical forums. Now if you have a point, or counterpoint, founded in some experience - be it technical, social, or otherwise; You have my audience. Just exercise a bit of grace in your posts. I know 9 year olds that have been taught not to use the terms "stupid", "hate", or "shut up" out of respect for others.

To quote Iceman "get yourself a car related avatar" in this forum.
Old 07-03-2010 | 07:40 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

When I was 7, my dad decided it would be cool to buy a cabin in the mountains. It had no heater to speak of, so my dad, brother, and me got some chainsaws and went logging. Sort of. We loaded a Chevy half ton pickup up with probably a ton and a half too much wood. We then headed down the mountain, up another mountain, and down another mountain to get back to our little cabin in the woods. After about 45 minutes of riding the brakes HARD we lost all frikken brakes. I was totally clueless why my dad was so excited.

He managed to find a huge boulder on the road and sort of stopped against it, and told us to grab the water bottles and run down to a creek with water. We poured water all over the wheels and holy crap, talk about tons of steam and stink. Wrecked brakes, cracked wheel, I think the rear axle and springs were trashed too, but from too much weight. That was pretty stupid now that I think about it. It was the beginning of 12 years of mountain weekend living, which they gladly abandoned when I helped them build a house on the beach.

I also ruined a right rear caliper on the 914-6 when the brake hose swelled up and dragged the caliper on the rotor. I took it to a shop, since I was probably too inexperienced to do a good repair myself. The shop replaced the calipers in pairs, just as Whalebird said. Lesson learned is that having no brakes really really sucks.
Old 07-04-2010 | 12:36 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird
This thread is another example of your M.O. You seem full of wit and wisdom when your pud-whacking in the off topic forums, but offer nothing but bold contrary with your hit-and-run posts in the technical forums.
This part really baffles me. I've never, to my recollection, even visited the off topic forums much less posted in them. Can you please point me to a post I've made there? What pud-whacking are you referring to? Nothing but bold contrary with my hit and run posts? Have you read all my posts? I don't know what you're talking about and I don't think you do either. If I post differing opinions it's because I believe them to be helpful. You've made some bold accusations here. Please give examples.

I'm sorry for offending you and others. I don't normally post things like this but this thread really pissed me off.
Old 07-04-2010 | 03:28 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Not as much as it pissed me off.

Maybe Doug omitted the word "may" (big sheeit...), but all of the subsequent threads spoke to "scale" of thorough brake system analysis and actions ("maybes") , irrespective of a specific failure locale. All of this, offiered-up, from a THOROUGH perspective RELATING TO SAFETY to the original POs event ,..on the "larger" scale". At least you ackowledged the PREVENTIVE service task of getting old lines outa' there (not too "stupid", huh?)

For me, it boils down to the use of the word "stupid" (period). Bad call, grasshopper. With a decent command of the dielect, one could have "chosen" something a bit descriptively different? ("overkill",...."do things sequentially", "expense overkill", "measure the spec on the rotor first", etc.)

Bird mentioned the awareness of a nine year old who would know the difference in using such descriptors....they are, in fact, "attacking (if you will)....irrespective of your reference to "content" and not "name"...it's still implied. That's where I stand, period. It, simply, could have been rendered with a bit of more specificity and respect.

Dude,..I HAVE read your tech posts over the past.....no complaints with contribution (of any kind=all positive). I wouldn't want to NOT call this into the discussion. It's a good thing.

However,....the term "stupid" would be better served being in absentia in this forum.

(truly),...my best to you.

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 07-04-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2010 | 04:01 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

,..and if THIS thread "pissed" you off, all of your work is ahead of you.

Doyle
Old 07-04-2010 | 09:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I'd hit it. I mean about the pud whack...ah, nevermind.
Old 07-05-2010 | 09:18 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

You're all quite right...I was out of line. I apologize.
Old 07-05-2010 | 09:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Hey 911Dave, it's all good. No worries.
Old 07-06-2010 | 03:28 AM
RedShadow
Instructor

Originally Posted by GregB
All,

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure there is quite a bit of "deferred maintenance"piling up on the old girl since the days when she pulled daily driver status in CA.... think I can get this one resolved in the $2500 - $3000 range?

-G
Holy crap, no! At worst you're looking at a new set of front calipers. Same thing happens to my car. I get about 30 mins hard-driving out of it before the sticking front caliper cooks the fluid. There are also caliper rebuilding kits that are inexpensive if you fancy a bit of DIY.

Or if you're nuts and broke just drive around the problem like I do.
Old 07-06-2010 | 06:51 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
Hey 911Dave, it's all good. No worries.
same here.

Doyle
Old 07-06-2010 | 11:55 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RedShadow
Holy crap, no! At worst you're looking at a new set of front calipers. Same thing happens to my car. I get about 30 mins hard-driving out of it before the sticking front caliper cooks the fluid. There are also caliper rebuilding kits that are inexpensive if you fancy a bit of DIY.

Or if you're nuts and broke just drive around the problem like I do.
Well, that last statement is indeed STUPID. Heck, it's MORONIC. Sounds like you're a daredevil living on the edge until you kill or maim an innocent bystander that doesn't deserve to have their life hosed up because you're do something dumb.
Old 07-06-2010 | 12:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Well, that last statement is indeed STUPID. Heck, it's MORONIC. Sounds like you're a daredevil living on the edge until you kill or maim an innocent bystander that doesn't deserve to have their life hosed up because you're do something dumb.
Kinda sums it up. get your brakes fixed right.
I'm sorry for going off a little half cocked, but I do remember a similar incident in a earlier thread (about wheels IIRC) where dave911 pulled the same stunt. I also remember following a low-IQ thread in OT where Dave911 was wallowing around. These two isolated examples do not warant my temper tantrum. It rubbed me wrong, but by no means, gives me the right to pass judgement and fly off the handle. We all may have a bad day(including me)and not post with the clarity we would like to. I certainly do not articulate myself well in a monitors "pixilated space" and should extend the same courtesey to everyone else. It's the rock solid contributors(rusnak, Dshepp, Ed, and Iceman, et al) that keep the rest of us in line and make this forum a joy for me. Sometimes we "radiate more heat than light".
Sorry to all and you Dave. Regretably, it appears that the OP has bugged out-more than like because of my tyrade.
Sorry for the display, I think everyones point has been made.
Old 07-06-2010 | 12:33 PM
GregB
Intermediate

Originally Posted by whalebird
Sorry to all and you Dave. Regretably, it appears that the OP has bugged out-more than like because of my tyrade.
Sorry for the display, I think everyones point has been made.

No worries....the OP is still here!

I have an appointment to get a full brake system diagnostic done, and repairs to whatever needs doing. I need to get some replacement heims for my rear JRZ shocks too, as those have been banging and clicking for a few years now and have just about driven me insane!

It's fun to be back here.....I've been traveling in and out of some of these lists for a long time, and I remember "Porschephiles" (moderated by Stan Hanks?) before web forum software was even commonplace.

I remember Ted Matsumura too, if that name rings a bell for any of the old timers!!.... he was the first person I'd ever seen banned from the internets.

Cheers to all,

-G
Old 07-06-2010 | 12:44 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

We are always good for some entertainment value here!

Quick Reply: '89 Carrera - Complete brake failure today....then "heals" itself??