Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buying 1st car, Possibly 930 Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Moffman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sTyleR
I'd wager that there is NO WAY that a 930 is safer than a 951. Just none.

Having said that, I'm 17 also. I bought my first Porsche when I was 15, before I was even licensed to drive on my own. I've always been into specialty sports cars, but I knew very little about Porsche's before I pulled the trigger. Since then, I have learned a wealth of information about about these cars. They are fun, yet can hold many hidden secrets. A car that looks nice on the outside may very well be a mechanical project in need of thousands of dollars in work, especially if regular maintenance has been neglected or if the car has been sitting for an extended period of time (several years).

Would I do it again? Yes, well I have. But I knew what to look for the second time around, and that knowledge saved me many headaches and $$$$'s from the get-go. Having said that, I'm glad I learned that early on at my age with a lowly 924S rather than later on with a pricier toy.

Come to think of it, I learned a lot of aspects about driving in general, in my 924S. A proper technique of shifting being one of them, as well as how to handle and drive without any electronic assistance. I learned a great deal about control from this perspective, but the car's capabilities or road conditions must always be taken into consideration and held with a high respect.

When looking at a Porsche, or any German car for that matter, it's best to know what mechanical aspects to look for and check maintenance records to see when and what was completed. Research the model of car you are looking at before purchasing. Be it Porsche or not, ask around on an applicable forum so that you know what to look for mechanically before hand.

Lastly I'll say: there's no such thing as a cheap Porsche, regardless of the model. Often, money is better spent when you pay more for a nice, well maintained example than if you were to cut corners and save money on the purchase of a less expensive car that needs work. As previously stated, the purchase price is simply the cost of admission. But if you have the funds to take care of everything and won't go on neglecting needed services, than you'll likely find owning a finely built sports car to be very rewarding when you hit the road.

If I had 23k to solely spend on a car, I'd pass on the 930 Turbo solely based on the financial burden of finding a nice car with no issues for that price. Even if you did, you're still only looking at the price of admission. You could buy a nice 2000-2003 Boxster S for that money, or a early 996 Carrera, but I'm under the impression that you'd prefer a less refined, older, more raw car. Given that, a 944 Turbo would be a nice pick. There are some very nice, well sorted cars to be had at less than half of that 23k. In fact, I'd look around and try to cut a deal on a nice 1988/89 Turbo S car. They are essentially the greatest of the 944's, if you like the boosted stuff. They had the latest body, interior, suspension, breaks, and an upgraded turbocharger. Plus with a perfect 50/50 weight distribution you'll soon find that they'll cut up the corners like nothing else.

Whatever you end up getting, just take it easy and be safe out there. Great power and performance commands great respect.
Thanks for the help man, appreciate the post, but when I was looking for 944's it was hard to find a decent non beat up 944 turbo alone the S trim could be even more challenging. I too knew nothing about Porsches about 4 months ago I did a ****load of reading ha ha, and in fact the reason I was looking at porsches in the first place is mostly my fathers fault, he's owned them all through my child hood, I have extremely found memories of the Black 996 C2 he owned, it was falling apart by the time he sold it and was not maintained when he bought it but yet still the noise, power, looks, just everything about it gave me many fond memories.

BTW What do you guys think about this

Black/Tan E30 1989 BMW 325i Coupe
It appears to have tasteful mods.
(Guy obviously wanted a m3 :P)

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

Or maybe this White 1989 325i Stock
68,000 miles

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

or even a 1983 Porsche 911 SC
130,000 miles
$12,500

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e&rdpage=thumb

Last edited by Moffman; 07-01-2010 at 07:11 AM.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:47 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I like the 83 911SC, tail needs to go...

John
Old 07-01-2010, 08:58 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Tail needs to go"

Bite your tongue :P

You know that's a 930 Hallmark right?

Few issues showing in the pics but nice looking car.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:53 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
"Tail needs to go"

Bite your tongue :P

You know that's a 930 Hallmark right?

Few issues showing in the pics but nice looking car.
What with the E30s or the 911?

And I love the whale tails man come on
Old 07-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/1820887161.html
Old 07-01-2010, 02:51 PM
mck911
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S. Carver

$9k obo - Actually a really great deal w/ an S52 engine, 5 lug hubs. Looks well sorted.
http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=175778
^^^^ I want....

Check out bimmerforums.com also. I see some nice cars at good prices pop up there as well.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:29 PM
Moffman
Racer

Originally Posted by S. Carver
I can reliably chime in on the bimmers. This is my area of expertise.

Both of those cars are rough. The black car has "comfort" seats, no computer, and the engine bay is trashed. The wheels are ok, but they swapped out the tail lights for some "riced-out" look.

The white car was owned by someone trying to "doll" it up and slapped some fugly looking side skirts that aren't bmw approved . They should've been fined for putting those POS rims on as well. Both are overpriced too!

If you're serious about an E30, go to R3VLimited.com. Those guys are brutally honest and will quickly steer you in the right direction.

I just checked their website and here are three cars that I think would be worth pursuing.

$7850
http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=175523

$9k obo - Actually a really great deal w/ an S52 engine, 5 lug hubs. Looks well sorted.
http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=175778

$3.5K - clean looking car. needs an A/C recharge
http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=175301

Good luck and go to school!!!!
Those cars are gorgeous now time to find out what a S52 swap is :P
Cheers man
Old 07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Tango635
Racer

Ahhh, but once you drive an old school air cooled 911, you wont look at BMW's anymore....Ask me how I know. Make sure you drive one. These cars have a following not because they look cool but because of how they make you feel connected to the car. Not very many cars give you that feeling no matter what the price or how new. After you drive one, you might want one so bad,that you might actually want to wait till you can find a good one.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Redcoat
Instructor

944 in NJ here, might amuse for a year or so .....

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1820279764.html

No affiliation just passing it along.....
Old 07-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Tango635
Racer

^^^OK, I didn't know he had already decided that a 911, even an SC, is too expensive. Saving as much of the money for school is the best thing.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:47 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by Moffman
What with the E30s or the 911?

And I love the whale tails man come on
Sorry, I mistook GothinNC's post as your's. I'm a whale fan myself

Others directed you much better than I ever could on the BMWs, I was speaking only of the SC (and I'm FAAAR from the experts that roam around this board). And having driven quite a few of those BMWs I have to agree that the driving experience is absolutely different.

I used to think my S2k was hard wired to my a$$ and brain, but the 911 amps every sense up (in a good way). BMWs are wonderfully competent cars and compared with driving about any other daily driver grade car they are a blast, but although I've had experiences in a bunch of them for 20 years I've never been compelled to buy one of my own.....just one of those things, either you love them or you don't.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

I don't know if you're looking at E30 cabs at all, but one of the more "interesting" E30's was the 1992 M-Technic model cabriolet. Unique M-Technic bumper and side skirt trim package and unique white interior and white wheels. And all from the factory, if you're into factory original limited production models.

If you are a "fast and the furious-German style" type, there's a lot of fun that can be had with the earlier generation E21 3-series.

Not that I condone this kind of activity, but I was saying there is a lot you can do with a 320i. LOL

I don't think a 1978-1983 911SC is out of the question given your budget (again if you have cash flow in the future to keep it going when it needs some repairs). You will have to hope that the engine is good for a while unless you can DIY on head studs or what not.

Brett
Old 07-01-2010, 07:07 PM
Moffman
Racer

@ Brett San Diego

Yeah its a tough decision at the moment, I didn't rule out the 911s I'm looking into E30s and 911 SCs its just hard to decide. I think I'm leaning more towards the porsche to be honest.

And dear god what happened to that poor beemer.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Moffman

And dear god what happened to that poor beemer.
It was turned into a Nissan. . .
-------------------------------------------------
what about a nice 2002????
Attached Images  
Old 07-01-2010, 07:26 PM
Brett San Diego
Burning Brakes

Actually, I don't think you should be limited to the 911SC. I have a 1978 SC so that was the first thing that blurted out of my mouth. I think you should limit your buy-in price to $15,000 and plan on spending $5,000 immediately to freshen it up. You may not need it all, but be prepared. Keep $3,000 in the bank. There are decent 84-86 Carrera models in that price range along with the SC's. You may find an 87-89 with the G-50 transmission for under $15,000, but it will probably be rougher than an earlier model at the same price.

What about Boxsters? Any interest? My first Porsche was a Boxster, and it was a brilliant, brilliant car. Absolute blast to own and drive.

Brett

Quick Reply: Buying 1st car, Possibly 930 Need advice.