Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:57 PM
porsche_addict
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wiper problem

I'm having a wiper issue with my '87 Carrera. When I turn the wipers to the intermittent setting they will wiper fine for a few minutes but then they stop delaying and wipe continuously. Sometimes they will start working again with the delay according to the setting of the intermittent switch. If I turn the wipers off they will stop where they are and not to their parked position. Is this a problem with one or both of the wiper switches or the relay for the wipers? Where can I find the wiper relay?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Wiper problems are usually the relay. I had wiper issues, replaced the relay and they work perfectly now. The relay is relatively cheap and easy to replace.

It is mounted on the trunk side of the front fire wall behind the ventilation system a little left of center as you look from the front of the car. The ventilation system looks hard to remove but it is really quite easy to do. The process is very well described in the Bentley service manual. If you don't own one, the manual is the best $80 you will ever spend.
Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 PM
llangston1
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiper problem

you might also check out the wiper switch on the steering column. I had a very similar problem right after I picked up my '87. I took the switch out and cleaned it up with come electric contact cleaner and cotton swabs while replacing the steering column bushing and have had no problems since. The contacts were all gunked up with some oily residue. It seems to work fine now.
Old 06-30-2010, 06:22 PM
porsche_addict
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice on the relay and switch. I will look into both items.

Quick Reply: Wiper problem