Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pics!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:15 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very nice indeed! About that door stop. I had the driver side replaced and now I hear a "thump" at the half way point when its opened or closed. How do I fix it? Is this was Rusnak was referring to in post #13? What's a detent?

Last edited by Andy Kay; 06-29-2010 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:28 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 79 Euro
What's a detent?

It's a thing thing that goes thump halfway in the door travel

Seriously, the detent is a notch that you should feel on the door travel. It is there to keep the door partially ajar if desired.

On other cars it feels like a heavy spot in the door's travel.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

the thunk is your metal fracturing in the door. order the reenforcement plates immediately
especially with new stays they are harder on the door as they are still stiff
Old 06-29-2010, 05:52 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 79 Euro
Very nice indeed! About that door stay. I had the driver side replaced and now I hear a "thump" at the half way point when its opened or closed. How do I fix it? Is this was Rusnak was referring to in post #13? What's a detent?
The doorstay has a plastic slider that has a bulge in it. It acts as a holder to hold the door halfway open. If the door metal is torn or crumbly, then you need the reinforcement plates, or have the door re-welded as Ice says.

If there is a loud snap when the door is fully open and you go to close it, that could be the door stay arm snapping against the pin. I found that the door stay pin needed to be replaced by the rollpin.

As long as you have the doorstay out, file down the plastic so that the holding action is more smooth, and kinder to the door stay mounting area, which is stressed by the doorstay.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:57 PM
magnusk9
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

car looks great.... do the front air dam first.. that will build your confidence. The tackle the PIA door stay project.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Performance products image looks wrong. I think that might be the earlier door stay? The part listed on the Pelican website shows an all metal door stop that looks strong. I read the customer reviews, and a customer named Al says the metal arm needs to be filed down, which is what I would do.

Look at your existing door stay and see if you can file the bulge down on the arm while it's installed? Might save a ton of work.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes Alex, that appears to be the factory clamp on the spoiler. Replacements are easily sourced from Pelican as long as the spoiler is intact.
rusnak...again, outstanding support in your posts - thanks.

Quick Reply: Pics!