Received 1 Like on 1 Post

especially if it's the IC(s).

Doyle
Old 06-27-2010, 09:51 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Loren for tthe troubleshooting tips

Youre' absolutely right. I used to maintain radars in the Air Force and we used to troubleshoot to the component level...the not so good technicians would swaptronics. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment need to troubleshoot this correctly. I went as far as unsoldering the resistor (which by the way is a 130 Ohnm not a 2RO as I originally thought). Loren you were correct, the resistor is good. Soldered it back on and while I was at it, I passed the soldering iron on a couple of runs.

So this is where I am. I noticed a few days ago that the cruise control would engage not after I set it, but after I depressed the clutch pedal, so there's a problem with the clutch switch. I troubleshot using the Bentley and indeed the switch doesn't check out. Supposed to have 10 Ohms...got an open. So there's one issue.

I believe I also have a problem with the module as now the cruise control will engage but will not maintain speed for more than 5 or 10 seconds. Maybe I do have some bad solder runs, I'm really not too keen on passing the soldering iron on every run on the board. I was pretty good with a soldering iron 15 years ago but I don't feel like messing with it. The solvent I bought barely took the coating off, so I much rather send it out and get it repaired correctly.

Last edited by salukijac; 06-28-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"I'm really not too keen on passing the soldering iron on every run on the board."

That's a problem, as one never really knows if a solder 'bridge' occurred
during the process and not easy to find.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:22 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Probably the best call Saluk......you may still, however,..need to verify it's driving input signals...

Good call.

Best of luck to you.

Doyle
Old 06-28-2010, 07:27 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

BTW,..what is supposed to be the value of that heated resistor? Even if 200 ohms, it's WAY out of 5% spec....I thought it would be 2 ohms? Are there numbers on its backside?

Doyle
Old 06-28-2010, 11:18 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The resistor specs were on the bottom side so I couldn't read it while it was mounted on the circuit board. It's a 130 R 10% and it read exactly 130 on the good ol' ohmmeter.

I definitely have a bad module. As I was driving to work today the speedometer started bouncing and cuttig off. As I was driving I pulled the plug off the cruise control module and the speedometer started working again. I think I may have located a good working module, if that doesn't pan out, then out for repairs it goes.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control Module Repair