Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Getting close.....off to Le Mans on June 9!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 01:38 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're going to Chicago do you cross over Greenland/ Arctic Circle? Looks like the shortest way on Google Earth. Oogle some Hawaiian Tropic babes for me (can you tell I'm living vicariously through Ed?). And friken GO FLYIN LIZZARD !!!
Old 06-05-2010, 07:20 AM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ed, you're going to Le Mans?! Awesome.

Yes, PLEASE take plenty of pics. Enjoy it man. I was in France early April. It's a helluva party
Old 06-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
What fun! Have some Champagne, escargots and Rochefort on me!
We will be imbibing, feasting, etc. We've been on a diet for weeks now in preparation!

Originally Posted by rusnak
If you're going to Chicago do you cross over Greenland/ Arctic Circle? Looks like the shortest way on Google Earth. Oogle some Hawaiian Tropic babes for me (can you tell I'm living vicariously through Ed?). And friken GO FLYIN LIZZARD !!!
I've got more FL apparel than you can imagine. I'm taking some of it. I may go "non-denomanational" and wear some ALMS logo'd stuff though.

I believe most routes do go that way, I'll see what I can see.

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Ed, you're going to Le Mans?! Awesome.

Yes, PLEASE take plenty of pics. Enjoy it man. I was in France early April. It's a helluva party
I'll have a full report!
Old 06-05-2010, 11:54 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
What fun! Have some Champagne, escargots and Rochefort on me!
and don't take a shower...when in Rome..

I'm headed over to Beech Mountain for the SITM and the 928 guys. I talked to Jeannie and there is a great turnout this year. The Blue Ridge Boxter Summit is this weekend as well and there are about 225 Porsches in town.
I long to hear a carbed 911 echo thru the hills though...it's all fun.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Uber 911

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Yes, I feel very fortunate to have this upcoming trip. The ALMS folks seem to have gone out of their way to make sure it is an experience to remember for us.
Ed, find an excuse, any excuse.. and stay. The Classic Le Mans is on 9-11 July, its only held once every two years. Last time I looked there were 5 x 917 running and here's the thing, all entries have to have run at Le Mans or sister cars.

Bring a jacket they have a dress code

http://www.lemansclassic.com/en/programme
Old 06-05-2010, 10:34 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird

I'm headed over to Beech Mountain for the SITM and the 928 guys. I talked to Jeannie and there is a great turnout this year. The Blue Ridge Boxter Summit is this weekend as well and there are about 225 Porsches in town.
That will be fun! We went to SITM in 2006. 11 of us drove from Texas. That was probably my best road trip ever. 2500 miles in 4 days. 4 of us got tired of all the wives and girlfriends having to stop to pee every two hours, so we ran out front. We literally drove for over an hour thru TN in excess of 130mph, nicking 150 a couple of times, each of us taking a turn at leading for 15 minutes or so. We saw one speedtrap the entire way from TX to the Carolinas, no other cops!

Originally Posted by Uber 911
Ed, find an excuse, any excuse.. and stay. The Classic Le Mans is on 9-11 July, its only held once every two years. Last time I looked there were 5 x 917 running and here's the thing, all entries have to have run at Le Mans or sister cars.

Bring a jacket they have a dress code

http://www.lemansclassic.com/en/programme
I wish we could. That has been on my list to do too! Maybe a volcano eruption on or about 6/16 will help!
Old 06-06-2010, 12:21 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by whalebird

I heard it was don't shave the 'pits...or is that only for da wimmenz? They "go rouge" up there, don't they?
Old 06-07-2010, 02:36 PM
Uber 911

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That will be fun! We went to SITM in 2006. 11 of us drove from Texas. That was probably my best road trip ever. 2500 miles in 4 days. 4 of us got tired of all the wives and girlfriends having to stop to pee every two hours, so we ran out front. We literally drove for over an hour thru TN in excess of 130mph, nicking 150 a couple of times, each of us taking a turn at leading for 15 minutes or so. We saw one speedtrap the entire way from TX to the Carolinas, no other cops!

I wish we could. That has been on my list to do too! Maybe a volcano eruption on or about 6/16 will help!
Or something you ate didn't agree with you, such as this Jeremy Clarkson is munching on http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y4MS7mSzX8
Old 06-08-2010, 01:07 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks, but I can have some coq au vin and a nice St. Emillion for what one of those sparrows would cost, if you could buy one!
Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 PM
lparrotta
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like you’ve had a busy couple of days. Congratulations on the Carrera fix (sometimes the gods smile on you and it’s only a loose connector). Tough break on the break in.

My fuel pump is due in on Thursday. Hopefully, I’ll be back on the road by Friday.

I had to post a couple of pictures of our LeMans visit in ’06 (the first Audi R10 diesel win). The last photo should be titled “Morning at LeMans”.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Ha, we're looking forward to the sights that will be presented to us

Just got confirmation that our upgrades went through, so the party is on tomorrow morning! Too bad I can't fire up a Cuban on the way over...
Old 06-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Au revoir.....switching planes at DFW. Hold down the fort and behave here!
Old 06-09-2010, 06:21 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Bon Voy-yagie!! (Bugs Bunny voice)...
Old 06-18-2010, 10:45 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Well, this was a spectacular trip. We stayed in a 500 year old Chateau near Le Mans. We had the red carpet rolled out for us the entire time by the ALMS folks and had more credentials than you could ever imagine getting us everywhere but the hot pits during the race. We got private tours of the Flying Lizard, Corvette Racing and Drayson Racing garages, got to hang out in the FL owner's suite for Thursday night qualifying, had our meals and based our adventures in the Michelin VIP compound, got a trip over to a special viewing area at the 1st chicane on the Mulsanne straight, got to tour the Michelin tire compound, and had some grandstand seats which we used for the start and finish. Spent about 20 minutes chatting with Johnny Cocker and Emanuele Pirro (5 time winner) @ Drayson Racing who was one of the most enthusiastic drivers I've ever met, even after all his time behind the wheel. He truly appreciated our enthusiasm as fans. We spent about 15 minutes with the Lizard crew and talked to Pat Long a bit. During the driver's parade, we sat on the main stage as each team was introduced. Some of the vintage cars for that event were unbelievable, and about every "super car" you can imagine was there, that we typically don't see in the states.

We visited the track museum somewhere in the mix too.

We also got to go up on the ferris wheel, which had a spectacular view of the Ford Chicane and the start/finish. We capped it off when we rode back on the train to Paris with Johnny O'Connell. I'm pretty scatter-brained right now as I think about all that we got to experience. Did I mention the food and wine? Michelin had a first class menu for our meals at the track. But, I still craved Pommes Frites! I took about 800 pics, and a few videos. A sampling:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8CCzhruuW8
Attached Images                
Old 06-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

A few more:
Attached Images                

Quick Reply: Getting close.....off to Le Mans on June 9!