Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Front wheel hum

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 01:50 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front wheel hum

I just replaced my front wheel bearings because I had a hum when coming to a stop or when moving from a complete stop. After replacing the bearings the hum did not go away.

The next possible culprit could be the brakes pads sticking, except it doesn't show any of the signs related to this problem. The pads look good, the rotors don't show any uneven or excessive wear.

So how do I troubleshoot this?

I ordered caliper rebuilding kits when I ordered the bearings so I could do that next. I just don't want to do something I don't have to.

Any ideas?
Old 05-29-2010, 01:56 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you grab the top of the front tire with both hands and shake side to side, is there a lot of play in the bearing? Check each side and adjust if necessary. There should be a slight clunk.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:00 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I did that check after I replaced the bearings and as far as I could tell, I got the clunk but no play.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 AM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

How do your tires look? Are they worn, cupped or feathered? This could result in humming more pronounced at lower speeds. Have you had an alignment or height change recently?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:01 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
How do your tires look? Are they worn, cupped or feathered? This could result in humming more pronounced at lower speeds. Have you had an alignment or height change recently?
+1
Old 05-29-2010, 03:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

yeah tire check in order for sure .. I did EXACTLY the same thing on my wifes Audi .. she compalined of the hum while turning mostly , changed the wheel bearing a HUGE pita , then noticed when i went to put the tire back on it was chorded ..

what a dufus ...
Replaced the tires, aligned it and all is well .. except now I have a bearing press

Last edited by theiceman; 05-30-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:02 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

The tires look good. The hum is more mechanical than rubber hum.

I noticed it happens after the car has been running for about 5 miles. I'm thinking I should drive it for about 10 miles and quickly put it on a lift and have my wife apply the brakes to see if I can reproduce it.

It always happens after I apply the brakes at slow speeds right before coming to a stop. I have slowed down without braking and it doesn't hum. As soon as I apply the brakes it hums, and right after coming to a complete stop. It goes away as soon as I go over 5 MPH.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

are you sure it is not a shield or something .. ? you can always swap the wheels over to the other side for a quick check .. also be sure the hum is coming from the side you think it is .. it can be deceiving some times..
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw in some new pads. Sure cured my moaning....

Doyle
Old 06-01-2010, 12:15 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might also direct a strong stream of water at the front calipers, inside the gap where the rotor goes. Try to flush as much brake dust out as possible the next time you wash the car.

Also, double check the bearings adjustment just in case.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

the moaning inside my car was fixed with a new pair of high heels and a night out .. all is quiet now .. must repeat every year or so though ;O)
Old 06-01-2010, 12:34 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theiceman
the moaning inside my car was fixed with a new pair of high heels and a night out .. all is quiet now .. must repeat every year or so though ;O)
Old 06-01-2010, 03:21 PM
csmab
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a very similiar noise. Mine sounds a little more like when you drive a couple of feet with your emergency brake engaged. A slight harmonic noise vs. a hum. I only hear mine after taking off from a complete stop. The first few rotations of the front wheels produces the sound and then it goes away. Doesn't really happen when braking. I replaced rotors, pads, brake lines, and repacked bearings thinking this would solve the issue. No such luck. I think the calipers might hang a little thus causing the noise. I do not have any excessive wear on the pads or rotors so they must be releasing slowly from a dead stop. Tires are in new shape. Car has 63k on the original calipers. I'm not ready to rebuild them yet since they still perform great. Sorry I didn't solve your problem but at least you know that your not alone.

CSMAB
1985 Factory Turbo Body
Old 06-01-2010, 11:21 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

CSMAB,
Sounds like we have the same problem. I have the rebuild kits for the calipers, so I may try that next.

I was hoping to have my calipers refinished at the same time (they were previously painted red, I want the original finish/color), but I may have to postpone that part.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
One of the more insightful posts on Rennlist...

Quick Reply: Front wheel hum