Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Anyone have a California Car Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a California Car Cover?

Hey all,

I plan on getting a car cover soon and I just received a catalog from California Car Covers and their product looks pretty good on paper. I'm wondering if anyone here has one and can speak to the quality of their covers.

I know there are many suppliers of car covers and I'm sure there are plenty of good ones out there. I'll be looking for something that can be used both in my garage and outside and I'm still deciding what features I'll be looking for in a cover.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Paul
Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

They've been around a while, and I've known some people that have their covers for other types of cars. Never heard of any complaints.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:04 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul,
I have one for the 964T and have had them for two other cars. They are excellent. I like the light weight version that is completely wether proof. It packs small enough to easily in the trunk along with the other stuff.
Since you're local, send me a pm and I'll be glad to show you the one for the 964.

Gary
Old 05-25-2010, 10:05 PM
ricster
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as they are Kimberly Clark 4 material then no issues. I have a car cover from them still. I bought it back in 1984. Been great. I use it in doors and it still looks great.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:38 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Now it's just a matter of deciding which one to get. One other item they have in their catalog is a sun reflector that fits over the greenhouse only - I thought that was an excellent idea and I wish *I* had thought of that...

Gary, I'll shoot you a pm - I know that car...
Old 05-26-2010, 10:23 AM
ofishbein
Advanced

Great covers - I've had two. the hard part is deciding which one. Lucky for me, I'm local so I went to their retail store to see the samples. It's hard to tell from the pictures. I have the SOFTWEAVE for a car that is garaged and only needs dust protection. Nice flannel-like lining that is very soft.

Fair warning - if you order from them. expect a continual flow of catalogs coming about once a month. They must have the same marketing company as J Crew.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Mikeco
7th Gear

I've had 6 of their covers & they are excellent as is their customer service!
Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

CCC covers are the only ones we'll use. Jim (the owner) has been in the car cover business forever. He goes waaaay back to the Beverly Hills Motoring Accessories days. Matter of fact we still have BHMA covers and they have been closed for what? At least 15 years???
Old 05-26-2010, 11:41 PM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Thanks again everyone. Sounds like they get high praise. Now it's back to the catalog to decide which one to get...
Old 05-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Paul,

I bought a NOAH custom fitted indoor car cover for my '98 Jag XK-8 several years ago from Griots Garage. I've seen the NOAH in many mail order catelogs. Well the Jag is gone but I still have the use NOAH--- to cover my 911SC. I don't like the custom fit because the cover gets dirty from clinging to tires and you have to wait until the car is stone cold before covering--a custom fit and a WARM exhaust pipe don't go together. I'm curious as to why you want to cover your car outside. Try removing a wet/dew covered car cover. It's a mess and where do you put it? Then cleaning it is a pain if you can find a machine that can handle it. Cost me $50 at the Dry Cleaners to put it in their BIG washing machines and dryers---never again. I say cover it but only inside. My $.02
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Andy,
I hear you... My intention is to keep it covered mostly inside the garage, but on the rare occasions when I drive it to work I was thinking I might cover it then as well. One consideration I have is to protect it in the garage from a 6 year old and her friends which is why I'm also thinking about a thicker cover that would not be suitable to carry with me.

My daughter has already said things to me like "Daddy, it's *just* a car.". To which I swiftly and firmly corrected her that daddy's Porsche 911 is *NOT* "just" a car...

Paul
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good morning Paul,

Enjoy your 6 year old daughter! My $.02 on driving your car to work----don't cover it! Instead let them see your 23 year piece of beauty! Besides, you WILL find that "perfect" place to park. See earlier thread "Parking Pitfalls and Peril" from 5/22/10. Have a great day!

Last edited by Andy Kay; 05-27-2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
ofishbein
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carrera3.2LG50
My daughter has already said things to me like "Daddy, it's *just* a car.". To which I swiftly and firmly corrected her that daddy's Porsche 911 is *NOT* "just" a car...
When a friend if mine bought his Porsche, he justified it to his wife as it being better than getting a mistress. Now that he wants a car cover for it, he is saying it's the same as if here were buying lingerie for the mistress. Just because he chose the car instead of the girl, doesn't mean there aren't occasional treats necessary to keep it/her happy.
Old 05-27-2010, 01:35 PM
targajoe
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 59 Posts

Hi Paul,

I don't have any personal experience with CA covers, though I hear good things about them. I have a Covercraft Dustop cover for my garaged kept 1970 Targa.

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were moving some stuff from the garage to the basement, while the car was minding its own business under its cover. For reasons unknown to me our 90 lb German Shepherd decided to run into the garage and full speed took a leap into the air, fully cleared the drivers side fender and landed all 4 paws right in the middle of the hood!

He quickly jumped off, but I saw his nails had caused some pulls in the top layer of the fabic. I didn't even want to lift up the cover to see the damage. When I did I was delighted to notice there was not one dent, scratch, nick, nothing! Best money I ever spent was on that cover!

Joe
Old 05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 343 Likes on 152 Posts

Covercraft used to manufacture the covers for BHMA, and when Jim first started CCC Covercraft made his covers then too. I am not sure if they still make them for him.

Can't go wrong with Covercraft either.

Quick Reply: Anyone have a California Car Cover?