Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Radio Shuts Off Under power

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:52 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Scott C
I have seen this exact problem and very likely it is your voltage regulator. The radio has a protection circuit (Zener diodes) built into the system to shut down in case of over-voltage. I suspect your radio is a newer unit.

If you keep doing this, you are likely to damage the DME and cook your battery.

Please put a volt meter on the battery or cigarette lighter and repeat the test. I suspect your voltage will be greater than 16V.
Without question: BINGO, as Scott C is dead on !!!!!!!!!!!! And you surely don't want to OV the DME.

Speaking of which,...and it was a long time ago.............................I recall looking through the DME prints (yes, I can read them quite easily), looking for what Porsche did as to circuit board overvoltage protection and don't recall seeing any.....at minimum, I thought they would have installed a simple zener circuit (ess'y: component is all)...but surely no protection circuitry. This is from recollection, mind you.

This thread has sparked my interest in revisiting this DME analysis so off I go,...and look for mods to protect it from such an event...Thanks for reminding me............

I'm sure others will chime in on this notion.....if Lorne's reading, we'll know shortly, the details.....let me see if I can beat him to the punch (although I doubt it).

Best to you,

Doyle
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

It wouldn't be hard to add zener protection to the DME either internally or externally. I may look into this in the future.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM
talane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I ordered a new VR today and will install. I am thinking I should just replace the Alternator as well since I do not know if it was replaced and I have 130,000 on the car now.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:39 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott C
It wouldn't be hard to add zener protection to the DME either internally or externally. I may look into this in the future.
No, it wouldn't. As long as one designs it to give it all it's got for zener voltage (current rating) then allow it to open when "sheeit hits fan"....

Doyle
Old 06-11-2010, 09:57 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most mercedes cars through the 80/90s have whats known as an overvolt protection relay. they fail all the time and cause minor starting problems. Possibly a simple integration of one of these relays into the wiring harness would be all it takes. Just a thought I had. If I can help with any research on this, I will. I can get part numbers, and I probably have a wiring diagram for any of the Benz cars that have this, along with input/output voltages.
Old 06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Interesting thought on the over voltage protection.
On the flip side, I wouldn't want to be stranded somewhere because my DME was slightly over voltage.
I prefer a voltage meter in the car, and the ability to decide how to deal with the issue.
Perhaps a voltage regulator circuit at the DME, so that if the source voltage exceeded the allowable level, it would be brought into check by the secondary regulator.
Then you could get home and deal with it in due course.
Old 06-11-2010, 10:03 PM
talane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the voltage regulator and it seems to be working. I have to run it a few more times to be sure but so far so good. It wasnt to hard to change out the VR.

Quick Reply: Radio Shuts Off Under power