Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Fix for a lumpy, rough engine idling...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 01:16 AM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

Your thread on the thrashed 911's in SF area highlights why these cars should only be owned by people who are passionate towards their cars and have the wallet to support it. This is a car that will reward and repay the time, effort and money that you invest on it.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:59 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will add here that a 911 has a higher price of admission, and does require commitment. However, a 911 can be one of the least expensive cars to own as long as maintenance and repair is done properly.
I would also suggest that you visit the shops in your area - see which one feels right to you. If you are confident in your current shop and have open, comfortable dialogue with them - thats where you belong. It won't hurt to see who else is out there. Often a Porsche Club meeting is a good place to ask around for suggestions.

I think you can see why an ultra low-mile, expensive, perfect example 911 is a dangerous car - they need everything. A properly owned and serviced 911 with fair milage is a much safer bet.
You've done well and the money will stop flowing out of your pocket soon.
Now go drive that thing - hard!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my first Porsche some one introduced me to the term "PCU" which they said stands for "Porsche Currency Unit" = $1,000 US.

Seems like paying for something done which you can not do your self seems to cost at least 1 PCU and I find to do the related, "smart money" work as well spends it brings the costs close to 2 PCUs.

If you have a good shop it is the best money you have ever spent (besides buying the car in the first place) and the car keeps running better and better.

Drive the car often, drive it hard, learn to do more of the work yourself and find a good shop.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:08 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

The shop I go to is one of the best in the pacific NW...but ya there is always a higher premium for their work. With a full time job as a physician in a very demanding speciality, there is not much time left in 24 hours for DIY car maintenance/repairs. Plus I am so obsessive when it comes to car detailing (weekly washes, daily wipe down with california duster, wax every three months, Vit E enriched leather conditioning every 3 months, engine detailing every 6 months etc) that it in itself takes a lot of my time but I view that as my bonding time with my three cars and my time for relaxation. I am so thankful that I have a very understanding wife and two preteen daughters...and I don't intend to upset them anymore than I have to. But someday with all the knowledge I am gaining here, I hope to put it to use for DIY fixes.

Quick Reply: Fix for a lumpy, rough engine idling...