pre-PPI inspection...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 01:25 AM
nuprn1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question pre-PPI inspection...

Hey guys...

I'm in the market for an early 911, I think ever since a kid the 911 has been the one. Now its time to end the talking.

so, i've found a 911
87 cpe w/90K, 1 owner, org paint, no engine work, all stock, etc...

now, i'm not an expert in porsche's but I'm going to check it out later this week in person to decide if this is worth it for PPI at the shop.

Can anyone point out some obvious items to look for on the 911's? maybe a checklist of visual items?

thanks for the help, and I hope to become a regular in the new week or so!

btw, it will be a secondary car... haven't decided if i'm going to set it up for auto-x or not yet.

rich!
2000 Wrangler Sahara - snowboard vehicle
94 Corrado SLC (damn suv)
90 Corrado G60 (sold)
90 Talon TSI (the tree won)
list goes on...
Old 06-12-2002, 10:46 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I like the really early ones but that's just me.

Here is a great link for what to expect in a PPI and tips on things you can lok for.

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/911_prepurchase/911_prepurchase.htm" target="_blank">PPI LInk</a>

Good luck. Last year when I was looking for my 911 I looked at over a dozen cars befroe buying. Take your time.
Old 06-12-2002, 12:05 PM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
See the car first thing in the morning and make sure to tell the seller not to have started the engine (i.e. that the engine is cold). Note any smoke and the car's general wake-up sequence: high idle settling to correct 900rpm or thereabouts. Note condition of driver's seat: does its condition match the mileage you see?

There is so much else I cannot begin to start, but do adhere to the advice above - that can tell you a lot.

Jw
Old 06-12-2002, 04:13 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an '87 Carrera (83k miles) and have learned a lot in the 11 mos. since I got her. If your prospective car has the original clutch, the needle bearings in the fork will fail soon. It's a guarantee and Porsche even did a factory upgrade but not a recall. I just finished doing this job myself and you can count on throwing a good $2000 at it if you send it to a shop or about $800 in parts and 20-30 hours if you do it yourself. While I got one of the lucky ones, Carreras are notorious for premature valve guide wear. Though it usually occurs well before the mileage on your prospect, so you may be safe. You need a leakdown test for sure, and if you're serious, I'd pay for a valve adjustment instead of a PPI, which can tell you a lot of other things too. I love my car, it's a dream come true to own it and very satisfying to work on it. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2002, 04:18 PM
nuprn1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do know a new clutch was put in at 60K, but not the full details of what was replaced!

Quick Reply: pre-PPI inspection...