Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New Driver - need help with auto washer

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2001, 01:50 AM
desoto
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New Driver - need help with auto washer

I recently bought a 1987 911 Carrera Coupe. I have been looking for quite a while and found a great one in my opinion.

The pre-purchase inspection found the car to be in excellent condition with minor things to be repaired.

1. Can someone direct me to a source or tell me how to fix the automatic window washer system?

2. I am a novice working with cars but I am eager to learn and look forward to my new hobby. Does anyone have any advice or books that I should pick up on instruction for maintaining a sports car?

3. After I bought it, I drove it home (2 hours in the rain from Atlanta) and the oil gauge was in the red. The next morning I added about 4.5 quarts of Mobil 1 (SAF 50) red cap. It seemed about right as I was checking the gauge by idling for 2-3 minutes between quarts - however when I put in the last one, I clearly went over the maximum amount and the gauge was above the "white area" for an extended trip yesterday. It came down into the white area after the trip. My question is - did I hurt the engine by having too much oil? If so, should I change the oil out or should I have drained a little bit to get it back to a lower level?

Thanks for your help in advance.

DeSoto

P.S. Any other first time driver books, manuals, magazines that I should get - let me know.

1987 Carrera
Old 09-03-2001, 02:17 AM
CamB
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Congratulations!

Hmmm, lots of questions so I'll give short (and if wrong, someone will correct me) answers:

1. Automatic window washer system? No experience (yet) on my car - see Bentley manual below, perhaps. It should be pretty simple - pump, lines, reservoir, nozzles... Check the relay first.

2. Books, etc - heaps of options here:

- Bentley manual - expensive but very thorough (so I am told, they don't make one for my car )
- Bruce Andersons 911 Handbook - lots of info about options/upgrades
- there are 2 or 3 guides to authenticity (if you care) - check a decent book store or maybe Amazon (eg "Original Porsche 911" and "911, 912 and 930 Guide to Authenticity")
- this BBS (escpecially the search function)
- the Pelican Parts BBS (www.pelicanparts.com) - especially the search function
- free mail order catalogues from Automotion, Performance Products and Tweeks
- Excellence and 911 and Porsche World are pretty good magazines
- your local PCA (club)?
- I also have a Haynes manual which is cheap but has a lot of shortcomings especially with the later cars

The best options are the first 2 and the two BBSs because they are interactive.

3. Oil level. Two things. First is your engine must be at operating temperature and idling to check the oil. The second is that the dipstick is always reliable when the gauge may not be (it is 14 years old, after all). If you did overfill it there is, I think, a pipe to send the overflow into the airbox (there is on earlier cars). This means you burn the oil off. As far as I am aware this is unlikely to cause damage (but it is not a good idea). You could check your airbox for oil residue. Some folks have reported obnoxious clouds of smoke after overfilling the oil tank...

Hope this helps. Hopefully if I have led you astray on anything I will be quickly corrected.
Old 09-03-2001, 02:20 AM
Will
Addict
Rennlist Member

Desoto, I remember being in the same place when I bought my '87 Carrera several years ago. I know this sounds obvious, but I found the owners manual to be quite useful. If your car didn't come with one, you can buy one from Automotion (among other places). I also joined the PCA, which has a nice magazine called Panorama, and I subscribed to Excellence, a fine magazine on Porsche cars. You've found this discussion board, which is also invaluable, and that's where I learned many things about my car. Post your questions, and we'll help! You might also check out the message board at pelicanparts.com.

Let your car warm up *fully* before checking the oil, and check it while idling. "Full" is when the oil reads half way up the dipstick. Don't fill it any higher than this. Add a half a quart at a time to get it there.

Will
Old 09-03-2001, 04:40 AM
George 86T
Advanced

desoto--I can't believe someone sold you a Porsche that was almost 5 qts.low on oil--you probably have overfilled it and I suggest you drain out about 3-4 qts and start over! At the very least--warm it up to operating temp and while sitting on a level spot AND with the engine running--check the dipstick for your oil level to be half way between the two marks. Since your engine is a dry sump and most of the oilis in the storage tank, you can drain the sump under the engine (shut off) and you'll get just a couple quarts out.

Quick Reply: New Driver - need help with auto washer