89 Targa Price?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 05:37 PM
gmiz
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 89 Targa Price?

Hello all;

I have been in the market for a 911 for some time now. There is a car that is available locally that I am thinking about but I am not sure about the price.

Here are the details, 89 Targa, white, 135K Miles, top end rebuilt at 120, new clutch, rebuilt Targa Top, fairly new tires, no leaks, AC works but not charged, LSD.

Wants $19K but I think he will take $17.5. Sounds like a well taken care of car, 3 owners, all service records although I have not seen them.

Lots of good things but a few I am not sure about. Values of Targa's seem lower, so I am not sure his price reflects this. Also, does the rebuild add value or not?

I am considering whether I go to the next step of a PPI but know that Targa's are a aquired taste so am concerned about re-sale values.

Living in So Cal I would think the top would be off most of the time anyway.

Thoughts?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

The rebuild's effect would depend on who did it, and how much was done. Targas don't take a lot of effort to acquire the taste. 19 would seem high to me, so "lower high teens" would be better. One would really need to see the car to offer an opinion on value.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on Ed's comments.

I just could NOT imagine buying one of these babies under remote control (unseen/undriven) although I know it's done all of the time (PPI it,.....fly out / drive her home)...just the way it rolls,.....). I just could not do it, UNLESS I knew that a VERY thorough shop was doing the PPI (pay to play).

It's always good to get the details of the top end work (and what was seen on the bottom end)....,..and (as Ed suggested) by "whom".......it will lend credence to the deal. A parts listing is always good.

Mine had a top/bottom done on it (and there's only a few specific reasons to split a case [mine] @ 117K miles). I didn't know whether to FREAK OUT or be "comforted" at its new life.

Having stated (you) that Targas are "an aquired taste" seems to indicate that maybe you've not driven' one? Not sure, and surely a mere assumption, maybe even erroneously.

I say "truly taste this stuff before buying"........if concerned about "resale", I wouldn't know much about that !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best to you,

Doyle

Quick Reply: 89 Targa Price?