Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 83 SC accelerator bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 83 SC accelerator bushings

All of a sudden my accelerator pedal only moves about half an inch in travel between foot off and foot on the floor. I’m thinking it’s a bushing but where to start, behind the pedal, or in the engine compartment? Is there supposed to be some spring on the accelerator pedal to push it back up to its regular position.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:08 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The bushings are plastic, and can crack. See #18 in the diagram. #13 is prone to cracking as well (look on the left side of the transaxle).
Attached Images  
Old 04-20-2010, 06:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

The Accelerator linkage on a 911 is quite complex when comapred to ther cars. it is an engineering marvel really .. There are a few areas to check . the whole system is made up of a combination of slip on rods and quick releases ..
The first place to check is lift the carpet and check the pedal cluster ( you can see them here and in russ's diagram ) I upgraded mine to Bronze. . you can actually just pull the pedal off the first rod . That Rod connects to a type of hinge lever atached to a bushing iin the pedal cluster.
This Hinged lever ataches also to another rod that runs through the centre tunnel you will be able to see it once you pull the pedal forward . you will see the rod goes back and forth as the lever moves.

That rod now moves another hinged lever fastened to the side of the transmision . it is right besides the drivers rear wheel . look in and you will see it. Make sure those bushings are working okay .. ( I think they are Russ's number 13 )
yes of course that lever engages another lever that goes up in to the engine bay. On an SC there is a throttle plate bracket fastened to the top of the engine shroud. This ( you guessed it ) has another lever which uses two throttle bushings on the plate that work the lever .... stay with me were allmost done
From that plate we have another rod that goes up to the actual throttle body that opens a butterfly. I actually think the only spring action may be controlled by the butterfly but not 100% on that. The bushings on the throttle plate are a BIATCH to get at so i hope yours are okay

I will throw up a few picks . Not sure the order they will show up in though

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

On that last pic I actually put the bracket together wrong and the Rod goes on the INSIDE .. that was a painfull mistake. The new bushings i put on were actually clear. You can see how the old one completely wore away.

A couple more pics showing the pivot lever better at the pedal end .. and the location of that throttle plate .. OUCH ...

Last edited by theiceman; 01-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:29 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Excellent , I had seen the diagram but couldn't figure out how it ran through the car thanks for the explination. I will keep this thread handy for Fridays poke around too see what I find. I'll keep you all posted

Cheers
Old 04-20-2010, 11:17 PM
KILRWAIL
Instructor

I'd suggest you start with the pivot lever under the pedal - it can bend to the right and get jammed.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:17 PM
mavthenav
Racer

Hey guys, I pulled the carpets out and got down and dirty with the pedal cluster. Boy it's a bloody mess down there, so much for mechanics servicing the car. First things first, it would seem to be the pivot lever, there's a lot of play in it, so looking at the diagram above parts 18 thru 21 have a lot of play to the point where the acellerator pedal actually moves a good inch before it has any effect on the pivot lever.

I'm thinking this is the first thing to remove and replace.

Quick Reply: 911 83 SC accelerator bushings