911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Knocking Noise - Chain Tensioners?????

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003 | 09:28 AM
mark911sc
3rd Gear

Post Knocking Noise - Chain Tensioners?????

I started hearing a fairly loud knocking noise on my '82 SC when I engage the clutch and start moving in first and then second. When I disengage the clutch the knock disappears. The knock sounds like its coming from the right rear of the car and it doesn't match the RPMs of the engine or the rotation of the wheel. The worst part of it is, it's intermittent. It doesn't sound like it's from the engine.

What does a chain tensioner failure sound like? I have stock tensioners. Could it be Clutch? Axle Shafts?

Thanks for the help in advance, it's my daily driver.
Old 05-19-2003 | 12:39 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Hi Mark:

As you can imagine, these kinds of things are tough to diagnose accurately here, but I'd offer some suggestions that might help you.

Chain tensioner failures make noise from idle to 2500 and it comes from the rear end of the engine. Using a long screwdriver as a stethoscope, you may place the tip on various parts of the engine to listen and hear things,....

You should carefully check the CV joints and axles on your car. Normally, these are noisy when turning, but that is not always the case.

I'd look closely at rear suspension items like shocks and shock mounts, rear swaybar mounts (might be broken), and the hardware that attaches the spring plates to the trailing arms.
Old 05-19-2003 | 01:31 PM
mark911sc
3rd Gear

Steve,

Thanks for the response. The thing that bothers me the most is that it's intermittent so I can't get a handle on it. I figure that if it's chain tensioners I would here it all the time whether the I'm driving or not.

I'll start listening with my new stethoscope.

Thanks,

Mark

Quick Reply: Knocking Noise - Chain Tensioners?????