Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wrong tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 08:32 PM
cal44
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong tires

Thanks to the ones that, many months ago, wrote on tires and the giggling effect around the speeds of high fifties to to high sixties. Mine was horrible and they had just been balanced again. So much so as it was unsafe.

Today I switched out with Michelins (spelling), now like a new car. I thought we were due for a big rebuild in the front.....wrong. It was the tires all along.

Last edited by cal44; 04-04-2010 at 09:41 AM.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:02 AM
Tango635
Racer

Hmm, what Michelins did you install?
Old 04-04-2010, 09:53 AM
cal44
Burning Brakes

I thought I would transfer my wheels off of the other 911 in a last ditch effort to breakdown a game plan. So although not new, I found my problem.
Thanks for the correct spelling, I have fixed my error.

Someone several years ago installed Riken of which I had never heard of but apparently have been around for years. They were/are heavier than the Pilots but after having them balanced twice it was in fact getting worse.

I suspect I knew all along but parting with another eight hundred dollars was not in the plans. Now it is a must. I have used Michelins for forty years on all of my cars. As others have brought up, the steering is quite sensitive and only a proper tire will do. IMO

Last edited by cal44; 04-05-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Tango635
Racer

i don't own a 911 yet, but on my wife's car, a bmw 528i with sport package, the suspension is set-up with some toe in for better handling. I tried some Mich Pilot Sport A/S with a tread wear rating of 400 IIRC, thinking that they would last a long time, maybe 60-80k miles. But I quickly found out I was wrong, the tires shortly became very noisy and later noticed it was due to the unveven wear on the inside. From this I concluded that tires with which have chunks of rubber and long and continuous, such as a v-shape, were not compatible with alignments with toe-in (sporty alignment).

Probably not good to base it on only one data point, but since then, I have tried to stick to tires that have small chunks of rubber and i think more radials (rain) grooves help too. So i have been buying Kuhmho Ecsta ASX's and they are about half the price and last just as long if not longer than the Sports. I also like the Perreli PZero Nero's. I have used these on my 635 and they also seem to be holding up decently to slightly sport alignment.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:07 PM
windsoreight
Track Day

The Riken is a very cheap tire. We have installed a quite a few sets in our shop. They are cheap and are for people who don't mind a vibration. I like the Kumhos, probably one of the best tires for the money. I would take them over the overpriced Michelins.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:53 AM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1

Originally Posted by windsoreight
\I like the Kumhos, probably one of the best tires for the money
Kumho's are cheap and awesome.

Quick Reply: Wrong tires