Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'88 Carrera won't shift into 2nd or 4th

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 12:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Thanks Pete ...

No those wheels are gone .. but it was such a cool pic i put it up there .. new it wouldn't be long before somebody said something. I thought it might be Ed first.

Thanks for the link ..
Old 03-31-2010, 12:35 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alex90706
Thanks. Here's some history . . . I bought the car about two years ago. The shop that I bought it from rebuilt the engine after an engine fire. It has about 150K miles and I drive it daily. There hasn't been any transmission work since I bought it. The last work done on the car was replacing the original evap lines (for a smog cert), then replacing tie rods. No work on the G50 transmission. A mechanic has told me the clutch is worn, but I don't experience any clutch-related driving problems.

Also, the car has never been valet parked, and never high-sided. And I don't keep coins in the shifter tray. Are you thinking that a coin may have fallen into the shifting linkage?

The day the problem popped up, I drove to the hospital and everything was fine. On the way back home, I was downshifting into 2nd and the shifter would only go half-way, not engaging into 2nd.

As you know, on a G50 transmission, only 2nd and 4th are on the "bottom" of the "H" shifting pattern.
1st, 3rd, 5th, and Reverse are all at the "top" of the "H" pattern.

Thanks, --Alex
Move one of the front seats forward so that you can lean into the rear seat area. On top of the center tunnel, at the very rear of the tunnel (just below the forward edge of the rear seats), pull back the carpet that covers a metal access plate. Remove the plate's four screws, and then the plate. Check the shifter connection inside the tunnel for any sort of obstruction (reach between the front seats to move the shifter while you watch, but don't force it).
Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
Thanks Pete ...

No those wheels are gone .. but it was such a cool pic i put it up there .. new it wouldn't be long before somebody said something. I thought it might be Ed first.

Thanks for the link ..
Don't think it didn't cross my mind! Now I know you were just poking sticks in my cage!
Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM
hunterpeaks
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly recommend Gbox if you have to have any tranny work done. They did my G50 last year and she purrs like a kitten. Better than ever. Had them put in steel synchros as well, since she's a race car.
Hunter

Originally Posted by Erik@GBox
While this certainly could be in the linkage I think it is more likely that there is an issue internal to the gearbox, a shaft that is out of place could certainly cause this. While not what you probably want to hear, if the gearbox has the same amount of miles on it as the engine did, it is probably ready for a rebuild.

Let me know if I can help at all, we do these all the time.

Erik Johnson
GBox Performance Transaxles
(303) 440-8899 work
(303) 895-4828 cell
www.gboxweb.com
Old 04-10-2010, 01:24 PM
alex90706
5th Gear

Success! Thanks a lot for all the posts. Peter, you were close when you asked if I keep coins in the shifter tray . . . but it wasn't a coin. Believe it or not, it was a nailcutter that fell into the crack between the shifter boot and the tray.
I didn't have to remove the center console all the way . . . just enough to look at the linkage. It was a no-cost repair, woohoo! Thanks again for the advice and the linkage diagram. Much appreciated, amigos. Have a good day ;D
Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Verde
Advanced

Another unintended hijcack. I am the new and very happy owner of a youthful 1988 Turbo (9K miles). I have a 997.1S as a DD, but this has been on my lifelong list of cars I've wanted to own. It seems to be virtually new in every way. Just passed CA smog with new-car specs.
My question is about shifting in to reverse. If I shift quickly, there is a grinding sound. Horrible. So I just gently and slowly slip it in to reverse and all sounds fine. I just want to know if this is a concern. Is there a synchro problem? Is there no synchro in reverse and thus this is normal?
Thanks in advance and again, sorry for the hijack.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by alex90706
Success! Thanks a lot for all the posts. Peter, you were close when you asked if I keep coins in the shifter tray . . . but it wasn't a coin. Believe it or not, it was a nailcutter that fell into the crack between the shifter boot and the tray.
I didn't have to remove the center console all the way . . . just enough to look at the linkage. It was a no-cost repair, woohoo! Thanks again for the advice and the linkage diagram. Much appreciated, amigos. Have a good day ;D
A nailcutter will do it everytime,..................

Doyle
Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Tango635
Racer

Verde,

having two nice cars as you have and asking for advise and not being a member? What's holding you back?

What transmission oil are you running? A lot of people who seemingly have minor synchro issues switch to Redline 75-90NS and their grinding goes away.

http://www.redlineoil.com/Products.aspx?pcid=7

Quick Reply: '88 Carrera won't shift into 2nd or 4th