Becker Nav system

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2002, 01:34 AM
my911.net
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Becker Nav system

Hi all

In this months "911 and Porsche World" Publication, there is an article on the Posche Navigation Systems (GPS's) and also a retrofit unit by Becker (Radio/CD/Navigation system) It sounded rather good and I was wondering whether to fit my '88 Carrera with the Becker unit - has anyone got one of these and has anything to comment on the Navigation sytems in general.

Cheers and talk to you later

PS. I am still wondering how to change my avatar to an image I upload - like my car or something - anyone???
Old 06-11-2002, 09:07 AM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently returned from a two week holiday in Germany. While there, I rented a Mercedes that had the Becker Radio/CD/Nav unit installed.

The Becker Nav unit worked like a charm! It doesn't give you a big color map like the factory installed nav systems; it does give you visual and voice directions. The visual directions are depicted on the face of the radio by large arrows and road/street names that tell you the direction to travel. I found it very easy to use and it is very accurate. The only downside was it did not allow you to enter a house/building number...only the country, city and street. It also allows you to select "point-of-interest" like airports, train stations, museums, etc.

I have no experience retro-fitting the Becker Nav to a 911. I do know you need to install a nav antenna unit and a electronic speed sensor. Blaupunkt also makes a Radio/CD/Nav unit. You can download the Blaupunkt's installation instructions from their web site.

Regards, Bruce
'84 911 Targa
'77 911 (Euro spec)
Old 06-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Very simple to built in.

In pre 86 cars the flip down front will scratch on the ***** abouve it.

Not sure how good the Navi works in the US.

Becker has a own bulletin board to sneak around & ask quests.
<a href="http://members4.boardhost.com/beckerboard" target="_blank">http://members4.boardhost.com/beckerboard</a>

Grüsse

Quick Reply: Becker Nav system