Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What special tools do I need for general maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 04:51 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One day I'll get a hydraulic lift. Still, you need floor jacks and jackstands even if you own a lift. My dad's El Camino got stranded at his office, and I diagnosed and changed the starter with his toolkit at his office. The damned tools were like AM/PM gas station mini-mart tools. I'll re-do the job with my tools later, just to make sure the connections are all tight.

My tie-rod puller is actually a BMW tool. I got it through some BMW catalog in Road and Track. It fits all of my tie rods, including the 356, 914-6, and all the 911s I have ever owned.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:18 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
One day I'll get a hydraulic lift. Still, you need floor jacks and jackstands even if you own a lift. My dad's El Camino got stranded at his office, and I diagnosed and changed the starter with his toolkit at his office. The damned tools were like AM/PM gas station mini-mart tools. I'll re-do the job with my tools later, just to make sure the connections are all tight.
I've only used a jackstand once in the last 4 or 5 years, and believe me, the car has been up and down numerous times. I won't get rid of them, but I don't really need 'em! They do go to the track, just in case, however.

Quick Reply: What special tools do I need for general maintenance?