Mystery hose ???????

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,578 Posts
Default Mystery hose ???????

On my '85 Carrera I have a loose hose in the engine compartment and I can't seem to find where one end is supposed to attach to.

When you are standing behind the car, on the right side just behind the oil filler cap is what looks like a valve about three inches in diameter, black, and shaped like a flying saucer. It has three hoses attached to it. Two large all rubber and one small covered with cloth. The small cloth one comes right out of the top of the valve and I can't figure out where the other end is suppose to attach to. It draws no vacuum so the car runs fine with it unattached but it would like to attach it somewhere anyway. The Bentley manual on page 101-3 states it is a breather hose but it doesn't show where it attaches on the engine.

Any ideas?
Old 03-19-2010, 08:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The flying saucer is the ambient air valve. It lets heated air into the throttle body at cold ambient temperatures to keep it from freezing open during extended cruising. At warmer temps, the valve is closed. The small hose is attached to vacuum. You have a slight vacuum leak now, so you should re-connect the hose.

The small hose is connected to the back of the throttle body. Feel around the back and you'll see the hose barb. You can and should buy a length of new hose to replace the old one, and for good measure use hose clamps.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:46 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,501 Likes on 1,578 Posts

Found the hose barb, thanks!

Quick Reply: Mystery hose ???????