Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

" Heel and toe" gadgets

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 03:25 PM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post " Heel and toe" gadgets

Going into my second season of DE and feel I need to perfect my H n' T before I use it for the 4-3 shift just before the "bus stop" at the Glen.

I've been practicing it on 3-2 shifts on the street but find rolling my foot to the side is still awkward and inconsistent. If only the gas pedal (or my foot) were a little wider..

At last years DE, I noticed a few 911 with gas pedal attachments to make this easier. I've been brainsrtorming how to build a home made extension for my car and have noticed some rather pricey pedal sets in Pano.

I'd appreciate any experience/ideas on this.

Thanks
Old 05-16-2003, 05:00 PM
FlatOut
6th Gear

I thought I could never heel and toe in my 911. Gas pedal so low and all. I read on a board about using my heel to hit low on the gas pedal. That works perfect for me and it feels like a much more natural movement for me. Rolling my ankle never felt good but angling my foot out a bit and just pushing down with my heel felt so much better. Now I enjoy heel and toeing.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:12 PM
P-on
Instructor

I find rolling your foot will NOT work on the street (I have size 8 feet) mostly because you're not on the brakes hard enough to get the pedals close. At Watkins Glen I get the roll going a little, but I agree with FlatOut that I go low on the pedal. I have an easier time in my 944S2 than my 911SC.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:20 PM
gerry100
Pro

Ive got size 9.

I'll try going low on the gas pedal, but the end of the pedal is hinged to the floor and has less travel the lower you go.

If you say it works I'll try it.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:25 PM
Stuttgart
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 15 Posts
I made a pedal cover out of 3/16 in. fiber board (with the rough surface facing your foot) and that has worked great. Its basically the same width except for the top 3-4 in. where it is about a 1/2 in. to 3/4 in wider than the pedal itself. Then just drill two holes in the pedal and attach with two low profile head screws.
Old 05-16-2003, 09:50 PM
MikeF
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I roll my foot for heel/toe without a problem...with factory pedals. Your brake pedal and your gas pedal are adjustable. You can raise your gas pedal so that it rides even with your fully depressed brake pedal for example. Or, vice versa...you can adjust your brake pedal down a bit so that it is easy to reach the gas pedal when the brake is depressed.

With the accelerator hinged at the bottom, I find using my heel to be very inconsistent and difficult to control throttle input. Simply brake with your big toe while you tap the gas with your baby toe. With properly adjusted pedals, it is a breeze. Don't buy gadgets...adjust your pedals and practice, practice, practice.
Old 05-17-2003, 12:44 PM
quicksilver
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never seen a car that I couldn't heel-toe without thinking about it. I think part of it might be what direction your foot is pointed. You should be on the brake solidly with the ball of your foot. Your heel should be extended probably 20 degrees to the right (pigeon toed). The gas pedal contact is with the side of your foot as you roll off the brake pedal.

I think the main issue is having a whole bunch of practice everyday in a situation where you stop thinking about it because you have to do it. Track time just isn't enough. My recommendation is to get a crappy car that won't idle when it is cold and then drive it daily. (Hey!, it worked for me. )

Wayne

Quick Reply: " Heel and toe" gadgets