86 3.2 Targa been sitting for a long time

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:03 PM
bam3352
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 3.2 Targa been sitting for a long time

Hey,

I'm new to posting on this forum but I have read a bunch of posts on various subjects so thanks for your info. I had an 86 911 given to me in exchange for some debt someone owed me. I was owed about 5k so I figured it could be that bad of a deal. The car has been sitting for 3 years. When I got it to my garage I considered replacing all the fluids and such but I didn't think an oil change would be a good idea without running the car to operating temp. The car starts on the first turn of the key, but it smokes terribly. I'm assuming this is from oil leaking past the seals while it was sitting but I'm not sure.

Any thoughts on what the problem could be and how I can get rid of it. Do I just have to drive around like an idiot with a huge smoke trail until the oil burns off or what would you guys recommend.

Thanks,

Andrew
Old 03-10-2010, 07:02 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the valve guides are gone. That is typical on the 84-89 Carrera's. Not all of them, but a good many of them. If the engine smokes only let it run 5-10 minutes to heat up the oil in the engine. If it has an external oil cooler, it will need to warm up to temperature 190 degrees to open the thermostat in the right rear wheel well. If the engine is not making any noises, growling, grinding , slapping sounds you may be Ok, until you do the oil change.

As usual, do all the filters with factory filters (OC 54 oil filter) since they have the proper relief valving in them.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:29 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What color is the smoke? If it's white, it's condensation and I would expect a LOT of that if it's been sitting for 3 years. Drive the car for at least 30 minutes after getting it to operating temperature and this will burn off. Without a doubt, give it fresh oil and fresh brake fluid.

No reason to suspect oil unless the smoke is BLUE. The color will be obvious. Air cooled 911's commonly give up a puff of smoke at startup. If it keeps smoking after warming up, then you've got a problem.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can tell, if it's that much smoke, sort of from the smell too. It could be a lot of things if the car's been sitting. No need to panic yet.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you got an owner's manual w/ it... read it. esp the part about properly checking the oil, a unique feature of air/oil cooled 911s. don't assume anything - I'd get w/ the local PCA to learn more about the cars & meet some expert mechanic - might come in handy (it IS 24 yrs old). good luck w/ a fun project car!
Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Andrew Where are you located? I'm sure you can find some local club guys that can guide you or even look at it for you. I agree no need to panic yet. Its been sitting, these cars need to be driven to last.... seems counter intuitive, but its true. before you run that car again change the oil!! the case and the tank add 10.5 quarts and top off as necessary using the dip stick (and the gauge if it agrees with the DS). A lot of newbies top off the oil with the engine off and cold like a normal car. When that is done, it's over filled and will smoke like a beeatch...... Brake fluid as mentioned too. keep us posted.. regardless I think you did just fine with your 'trade'.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:03 PM
nineoneone
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Could be over fill on the oil, check it drain a little a see if it goes away.

Quick Reply: 86 3.2 Targa been sitting for a long time