Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

89 Speedster driver door

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 02:45 AM
Kaptkona
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 89 Speedster driver door

The safety hinge that prevents the driver's side door from over extending snapped on my
89 Speedster. This is the small metal colored
hinge in between the two main hinges, it is
mounted on a post with a rivet on the inside
edge of the front left fender and is visible
when the door is opened it goes into the edge of the driver's door. This appeared to be a poor quality metal that sheared off, I was able to gently guide the snapped off piece connected to the rivet back into the slot inside the door and get the door to close and lock. The Speedster has manual door
locks that are round *****. Any info on what is involved to repair this would be most appreciated.
Old 08-29-2001, 03:58 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Are you in Carefree. I'm in Scottsdale. I have never seen an 89 speedster at the local club events so it would be refreshing to see a beautiful car like yours at the next meeting or Sunday drive. What happened to your car is quite common. Just make sure that the snapped off piece is inside the door so that it doesan't start tearing around the door. Did the metal arm that goes in and out snap or was it the pin?
Old 08-29-2001, 05:29 AM
Kaptkona
5th Gear

Thanks for the reply Ed. Yes, I'm actually in the North Scottsdale past Dixileta. Let me
know the details of the local chapter. I belong to PCA and moved from Phoenix just last month/ My Speedster is triple black and I had Beck's put in AC, they did the C2 retrofit and it works very well am pleased with the results. The car has 5K on the odometer. It needs a good detailing.
Back to the broken hinge, the piece is in the
door panel, the part broke right in the middle so there is about a 2" piece swiveling off the fastening rivet. I had to carefully put ease the broken piece back into
the opening where it went in order to get the
door closed, so I'm going to see about having it repaired. If you know anyone who specializes in this type of repair please let me know. Can be reached directly by email at RSALOMONE@aol.com Thanks!
Old 08-29-2001, 07:12 PM
Kaptkona
5th Gear

I caled up Beck's this mortning and the part is about $40., apparently it is a different part for the 89 Speedster. When it comes in I'm going to have them do the work, seems pretty simple, I think the door speaker can be removed and the old part emoved by hand.
It looks like there are 2 bolts holding on the piece that broke, and then a rivet post on the front panel that is tough to move. Look forward to meeting you.
Old 08-30-2001, 03:58 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Same here, I hope to see you at the next event, meeting or whatever. Bill, Mike or any of the guys at Beck's will take care you you well. I'd love to see your car again. I have always felt that the 89 speedster is one of the best looking Porsches ever made.

Quick Reply: 89 Speedster driver door