Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Horsepower question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:19 AM
AGW911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horsepower question

It's a bit premature, since I am still looking for a car, but what are some common things people do to squeeze some extra horsepower out of a 3.2?

Just looking for some ideas since I have lots of time on my hands and can't stop thinking about driving my new car when I get home. Hopefully I can find a good deal before I get home, so I don't have to wait!!

I realize there are probably a million engine mods etc that cost a fortune, but just looking for the slightly beyond do-it-yourself kind of stuff. I'm fairly handy with engines, so to judge my skill level I would say I am pretty confident I could tear down and put back together successfully.
Old 03-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

The first thing I must tell you is to thank you for your service. As a vet from a different time, I have a very good idea about what you go through and your efforts do not go unnoticed and unappreciated.

To your car questions,....

The biggest bang for the bucks on a stock 3.2 would be good software (chip), a proper sport muffler (some make nice noise but zero power gains), 964 cams, and SSI's, if you don't have smog compliance testing.

Hope this helps,
Old 03-02-2010, 05:32 AM
AGW911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,

I thank you as well, none of us would enjoy the freedoms we do today without those who served before us.

Your advice is well taken. I will definitely contact you for more specifics when the time comes to do the work. I will also be doing some reading on your site, should keep me occupied for a while!
Old 03-19-2012, 12:09 AM
dfwporsche
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi,

The first thing I must tell you is to thank you for your service. As a vet from a different time, I have a very good idea about what you go through and your efforts do not go unnoticed and unappreciated.

To your car questions,....

The biggest bang for the bucks on a stock 3.2 would be good software (chip), a proper sport muffler (some make nice noise but zero power gains), 964 cams, and SSI's, if you don't have smog compliance testing.

Hope this helps,
Steve - how much juice do you get from the 964 cams? My 3.2 has everything else you list.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by dfwporsche
Steve - how much juice do you get from the 964 cams? My 3.2 has everything else you list.
8-12 BHP, depending on cam timing, exhaust, and how the engine was assembled.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

AGW

i think you can go 87 , any newer than that and you have to do smog testing here in Ontario . . That gives you a good 4 year span of Carrera to look at.
The chips and muffler are the easy upgrades and you can do them as soon as you get the car . Just be carefull with those exhaust studs. The cam require a tear down and would probably be a nice engine out projcect for down the road during one of our winters.

Good luck on the hunt.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:19 PM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Doing all the "right" things, you can get around 250-260 Hp out of your 3.2L Carrera without opening up the engine, just bolt on kits.
The 3.2L exhaust is rather restrictive, and a good pair of equal lenght headers, cat delete and an open muffler may give you 15-20Hp. $1,500 to 3,000
The air intake system on the 3.2L Carrera is also very restrictive, and has un-equal flow to the various cylinders. Extrude honing will give you equal cylinder filling and 5-7Hp. $800 (+/-).
The "barn door" AFM (Air Flow Measurement) system is also a restrictive system, and can be replaced by a MAF (Mass Air Flow) or MAP (Manifold Air Pressure) sensor. To do that you have to modify or change out the Bosch Motronic ECU. Canems in the UK (http://www.canems.co.uk/pdf/Canems%2...ic%20ML1-X.pdf) has a complete bolt on kit that replaces the existing ECU, and at the same time uses an (included) MAP sensor for fuel and ignition management. The system also comes with a distributorless coil pack ignition system that give a stronger spark at high rpm. This system comes fully pre-programmed for the Carrera 3.2, but can also be programmed to fit any configuration, also ITB's. This system cost £1,600 for ECU, sensors and coil pack.
Combining everything above should give you 250-260Hp if the engine is otherwise sound.

Quick Reply: Horsepower question