Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My first Porsche 911......

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 08:59 PM
theporscheguy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would leave the car as original as I possibly could. What a great find.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:02 PM
indasevens
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry guys still here and still excited!!! Work has not let me spend as much time as i would like on my new find. I am really hoping I can get motor running. If so, I do believe i will just drive it for a little bit and work the bugs out. Then paint it close to original color--24/24??? I love the looks of Mr olsens car..really spectacular--Im more of performance guy but appreciate everyones input on original---I will prob keep "fairly" original.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:12 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I am in line with most of the opinions here. Be careful with the mods. A nice 3.0 from an SC with the 915 gearbox is an easy and cost effective swap.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM
indasevens
AutoX

Someone requested more about the car.. Well, I do know im the 3rd owner and the previous owner had it since 1975. It, according to him, has 46,000 original miles. Which is what the odometer says. It had little dents and dings here and there. Hood has been replaced and it got a descent paint about 20-25 yrs ago...Everything that i can tell is really really stock. Interior is pretty perfect with only a 2 inch tear in the headliner. It really cleaned up nice. Still searching for rust but none so far!! LOLOL Thanks guys for your interest and i will sure to lean on you all for input.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:21 PM
whalebird
Race Car

We gotta have some pics. This is serious...46K 71T barn find.
Old 03-05-2010, 04:30 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep her "pure".....

Best,

Doyle
Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM
indasevens
AutoX

Ok guys yo want pics here goes..This is how I found her...not running for past 5 yrs. He "said" fuel pump died and he never fixed it.
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great acquisition / great potential (& challenge).
Some yrs ago I was fortunate to take part in a tech session given by John Paterek. He showed us how, applying craftmanship, patience & select materials how one could revive much seemingly hopeless interior & exterior trim of 356s. Porsche spec'd very high quality materials for their cars, so it is really desirable to refurbish everything you can - it might be more than you think, & your labor is always cheaper than new parts. "Patina is only real once."
Old 03-05-2010, 10:54 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Without bastardizing the thing, a cam change and some Webers will wake the engine up significantly. Maybe there's someone now who can do something with the stock Zeniths, but no one so talented existed when these cars were in my wheelhouse of modifying them 20-30 years ago. Not sure where you'll drum up a Bosch distributor; again maybe someone's converting the Marelli's. (Or you got lucky and the car has a Bosch.)

The funky clutch release probably should be addressed. I'd imagine the old Automotion upgrade parts for the pivot and adjuster are still available.

I wrestle with doing similar to the '73 1/2 targa I seem to have "inherited". The CIS 2.4 is a dog, but it's so original looking at it back there.
Old 03-06-2010, 11:07 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Is that front spoiler steel or fiberglass? I have to agree with race911 and Dshepp. Keep it pure with some tasteful upgrades. Get it fired up and see what you have, but you can expect a few problems. Ultimatly, you have a lot of options that do not damage the integrity of the original car. You could pull the motor and reseal everything, have the heads tightened up(valve guides/ seals will surely wear quickly with some use), at which point you can do the cams, SSI/and nice muffler, carbs. A set of Fuchs with aluminum trailing arms/front crossmember, a nice thru-the-body front sway bar(smart racing has the nice stuff), and just cleaning up the cosmetics will give you a SWEET driving, fast car. Consider a tasteful oil cooler in the front fender and the original car is all there; it can be put back original if needed.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

I agree with most, KEEP IT STOCK !!!

If you do it might be worth 50K+ sooner than you think. If you modify it it will lose much of it's value.

Love it for what it is.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:30 PM
indasevens
AutoX

Default On the fence on what to do.....

Ok as a few of you know, I found a 71 911t that has been sitting for many yrs. Looks all original to me in every way. THis is my first 911 and if this was a 71 chevy I would know finding a treasure like this with little to NO rust is a good find. After plugs wires and another marelli and help from you guys on here...I got it running....Runs on a make shift pump system and ran for only about 1 minute. Popped a little here and there but i know carbs need rebuilt.......

Anyway, I am asking what this is worth in value. Before I go and flush tank, new brakes, and wheels and tires. I wanted to test the water to see if it is worth selling now and picking up a 911 that i wouldnt mind cutting up and changing motors etc....
If you guys could just give me a "ballpark" I would really appreciate it. Maybe i should sell it now before I have to put more money into it.

thanks

Quick Reply: My first Porsche 911......