Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

tune-up

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 09:51 AM
lostinatl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tune-up

'84 911 should to do a tune-up myself or is this over the top and should be done by a Mech?

I have just recently pulled out the Cat and straight piped it, now I have back firing on upshift and downshift....I understand I need to adjust the fuel. I am assuming I do this during the tune-up. How hard?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2003, 12:53 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The annual tune-up on a 3.2 Carrera is very doable for the average home mechanic. Wayne Dempsey's book (101 Projects for your Porsche) has details on most of the tune-up tasks and Bruce Anderson's "911 Handbook" has a list of all the annual tune-up tasks for a 911.

I can easily do the annual tune-up on my '84 Carrera in a day (at a leasurily pace). The valve adjustment takes the most time (YMMV).

The popping you are experiencing is most likely due to your mixture getting to lean as a result of straight piping your car. You should use a CO meter and reset your idle mixture to richen it up a bit. I set my idle mixture to about 3.5% CO using a Gunson CO Meter and I have no popping from the exhaust.

Bruce
Old 05-15-2003, 04:34 PM
lostinatl
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks. I will give that a try.

Quick Reply: tune-up