911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ruby's Rebuild Redux

Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks, but I'm not unhappy with my chassis and don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on Targa flex. the purpose here is the engine mod. I have a problem with my motor mount, and there is some precedent on motor mount problems in the 84 model year.
Old 02-23-2010, 02:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree....let's move on past chassis flex. Whalebird, thank you for your insights. I find them extremely enlightening and interesting.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I was really referring to the picture of the rollbar. I appreciate the input, but this could turn into 3 pages of rollbars and cages.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM
pmason
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ed,
Understand your point, I guess I'm not aware of the motor mount issue on the 84. Never mind. As my Targa is also a 84. Last year put in Wevo motor mounts, didn't have any problems other than while I did support the engine it wasn't quite high enough that the body jumped up like 2~3 inches and surprised me.

Last edited by pmason; 02-23-2010 at 08:05 PM. Reason: updated
Old 02-23-2010, 04:24 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Rusnak, I'ts nice to know my ramblings reach someone. I get a kick out of this community.
Ed, how did everything else look in there? Clutch pivots/guide tube? any unusual wear we should keep an eye out for? Thanks to your findings thus far and Pete's insights, we have already learned something.
I will have to say, because it's on my mind, that there is no worse of a feeling than getting everything back together, turning the key for the first time - nothing. Don't forget to put the ring gear on the flywheel (if it comes off). Ask me how I know.
Updates and pics
Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'm in Oregon this week, so I haven't done anything else. My focus is the breakdown and assessment of the engine. I'll get to the flywheel and clutch last. All was new 20k or so ago, and looked great two years ago, so I hope for no surprises there.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:20 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have to say that after attending "The Drop" at Ed's, I went out and bought a new creeper for under the car. And hesitated, but did not commit, on a new air compressor realizing it would interfere with buying the parts that the air compressor would be bolting on!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:42 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Thanks, but I'm not unhappy with my chassis and don't want to turn this thread into a discussion on Targa flex. the purpose here is the engine mod. I have a problem with my motor mount, and there is some precedent on motor mount problems in the 84 model year.
For sure, as this flex issues in non-coupes are known....on to the stuff you CAN improve.

...gonna' be good.

Best,

Doyle
Old 02-23-2010, 08:44 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whalebird
Rusnak, that's pretty much the argument against a targa or cab - there is a flat floorboard between the front and rear, held only by the door latches. I've never seen one, but I've always thought it would help to make a brace to replace the targe "top". A trussed unit that would attach using the same hardware(pins and latches) as the original top - just welded to tube structure that could be removed just like a targa roof.
Anyway, I don't think it makes a huge differance as long as Ed caught it in time.

Shepp, "Kid Gloves" and P/G will have to go PM. It gets pretty soupy in OT sorry to send you there.
I wouldn't dare distract from this thread,..point taken'. Sorry if I even tiptoed in my response to a previous poster...back to the (great) thread.....

Best to all,

Doyle
Old 02-25-2010, 10:07 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 79 Posts

Hi Ed,

I'm really looking forward to the evolution of this story. Throughout my searching here on various topics, I have seen a lot of what you do with your car. It is a really well-thought out approach that you've applied. The result appears to be a car that strikes the perfect balance between "really nice" and "great-to-drive". Sorry I don't have anything useful to add, just looking forward to all the great information.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:17 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Shepp, I started it, so no apologies.
+1 amjf088. Ed has developed his car with an overall objective. So many fail to do this. My opinion on Ruby and her "theme" is "less is more", which is the quintescential Porsche philosophy. Ed is methodically enhancing an already great car. Kind of like an artist removing material in a relief sculpture, not just building on.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:44 AM
MSHii
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I, too, don't have anything to add except an affinity for your car, Ed. Your issue has piqued my interest, so now I am keeping track of your thread to see how you choose to resolve the hiccup, and to see how Ruby turns out when you are finished.

Thanks!
Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Originally Posted by MSHii
I, too, don't have anything to add except an affinity for your car, Ed. Your issue has piqued my interest, so now I am keeping track of your thread to see how you choose to resolve the hiccup, and to see how Ruby turns out when you are finished.

Thanks!
I'm sure Ruby will be a beast. The "over-square" approach really brings out the high RPMs. Ruby is really going to rev when its all done.
Old 02-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. This car is my (second)love, and I love to drive her. Everything I've done has been to enhance that experience, with a little spent along the line to make her look great doing it.

It all is worthwhile when guys in F430's, 997TT's, and 996's tell you that its pretty impressive when you get to the top of the mountain with them.

I just wish I could stay home for a few weeks to keep progress going every day.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:11 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Giant killers - No ferrari is safe. Especially over the long haul. I like the early 911 vernacular, light weight, high revving, flexible motors. Porsche just had to get further away from that in the 911 series. The 3.6 is great, but they just don't sing. I think Ed is going backwards, in a good way.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ruby's Rebuild Redux