Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Turbo tie rods on 72 911

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2001, 02:21 PM
nigel911
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Turbo tie rods on 72 911

My ball joints need replacing and while I am at it I am considering fitting a turbo tie rod upgrade. Can anyone recommend the upgrade?
Has anyone on the forum undertaken these projects, and if so, any hints / tips / suggestions? When removing the old tie rods and fitting new tie rods are there any special tools required?
Many thanks
Old 12-14-2001, 03:35 PM
Rick Lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know how different the job is between your car and my '87 Carrera. And I didn't perform the work myself. But I think you'll need a tie-rod puller. If you measure the exact length of your old tie-rod ends and set the new ones to the same length, your car should be good enough to drive to the shop for an alignment, once your done with the install. If you know how to do your own alignment, then I guess that doesn't matter. The turbo tie-rods made a nice difference in my car.
Old 12-16-2001, 05:26 AM
littlebrutti
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The turbo tie rods are an excellent upgrade over the regular rubber bushed tie rods. The only tool you should need is a tie rod fork or puller. The only problem with the new turbo tie rods is that if you have a worn steering rack or badly balanced wheels, theses new tie rods with their more direct connection will really surface any problems that the old tie rods were able to dampen. Great upgrade, some possible drawbacks, good luck.

Quick Reply: Turbo tie rods on 72 911