Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Rear CA Bushing replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 11:42 PM
mm86911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rear CA Bushing replacement?

About 6 months ago I completely rebuilt my suspension with new torsion bars, rack spacers and bushings (front/rear) - all except the rear control arm bushings. Under the car today they appear to be OK (no visible compression) but wondering if there is ANY benefit in replacing them. Car has just over 100K miles. Your thoughts please. . .
Old 05-06-2002, 05:20 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Are you talking about the forward end of the trailing arm, where it connects to the body?

If so, the benefits are two fold if you are looking for performance. The trailing arms, in relation to the car's body, flex quite a bit under load...like in a turn. This throws the alignment out considerably, again, while under load.

I replaced the ones on my SC with the plastic ones by Weltmeister, what a difference, but then I did ALL the bushings at once, and the old ones were the stock, worn out and dry-rotted rubber ones.

My SC handled like it was on rails, of course I had big sway and torsion bars too.

If you're talking about the bushings that are in the trailing arm, where it meets the torsion bar, those are a bit tricky to change and I went with the Neatrix option there, under Jason's (Paragon Products) advice. This was a dual purpose street/track car and the setup I had worked fairly well, in my opinion.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:16 AM
mm86911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeff - thanks for the reply. I used Street Poly up front and Neatrix on the spring plates with 22/29 torsion bars. Still running stock sway bars and much better than stock. I am referring to the bushings that connect the rear control arms to the body. Was wondering if I should consider replacing them now that that the car is together or just wait until next time suspension is apart to avoid an unscheduled alignment (if even necessary when replacing these bushings).
Old 05-07-2002, 01:25 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Mike, that one is a toss-up, I dunno if I'd even get it re-aligned after changing those bushings...but you're supposed to.

Thanks for the help on the "spring plate" vernacular - I was having a "brain fart".

PLEASE! ...upgrade your swaybars, you won't regret it. I went your route, seriously, had the big torsion bars, bushings and all, no swaybars and went to Watkin's Glen...upon returning, my order went into Paragon Products for a set of Weltmeister 22mm bars, I never looked back.

Quick Reply: Rear CA Bushing replacement?