lowering 911 Carrera 3.2

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2003, 05:39 PM
lightning
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question lowering 911 Carrera 3.2

Hi all,

So finally I've bought my 911 Carrera 3.2 from 1986. It's a very nice car with low miles, only 33.200. The car was bought new in USA and imported by the first owner, a swedish guy, back to Sweden in 1990. Anyway as it is a US car it has some higher ride than the R.o.W. cars, to be more exactly one inch higher. Looking into the Performance hanbook by Bruce Andersson I read that this is done by a one inch spacer on the dampers and of cource a higher setting on the torsionbars.

My question is, how do I change this settings? Is there someone who somewhere has described this in some kind of a workbook?

I know my way around cars, but Porsches are totally new to me.

Please excuse me for any type of bad language skills, after all my native language is Swedish .
Old 05-14-2003, 07:48 PM
BER
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your English is very good; a lot better than my Swedish.

The rear height on a 911 is changed by re-indexing the rear trailing arms (which attach to the rear torsion bars via splines). You basically change the free-hanging angle of the trailing arm to adjust the height.

The front is easier; the height is adjusted by the adjuster bolts on the ends of the front torsion bars (at the cross member).

As you noted, you need to remove the thick spacer on top of the front strut; I don't think the reat shock has the spacer.

Check out the technical articles on this site. Also check the Pelican BBS (use the "Search" function on the 911 Board) for many posts related to height adjustment. Also, check out Pelican's Technical articles for related information.

<a href="http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm" target="_blank">http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911tech_articles.htm</a>

I believe the Bentley Manual for the 3.2 Carrera also address height adjustment.

Enjoy your new 911!

Regards, Bruce
Old 05-15-2003, 05:33 AM
lightning
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bruce,

Hopefully I will try to do this next week and I will be back with comments.

By the way. I have been driving Maserati Biturbo cars before I bought my first Porsche and even if the biturbo was very fast this is so much more fun.

/Anders

Quick Reply: lowering 911 Carrera 3.2