Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Cleaning Solvent

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 10:33 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cleaning Solvent

I'm putting the car on the lift on Friday for an oil change and while I have up there I would like to clean the underside as much as possible, specially the heat exchangers. I can't do the pressure wash method as I"m using the Hobby Shop at the Air Force Academy, so I would have to do the wiping method.

Any suggestions on a good safe cleaner or solvent?
Old 02-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I use Simple Green for stuff like that. Just be sure and wipe down with some water to "rinse" it off.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wouldn't the Air Force let you use some sort of ultra-sonic cleaning cabinet or something? If I had to spot clean something dry, maybe something that leaves no residue like an electronic parts cleaner. I'd hate to fire up the engine and smell up the hangar with burnt chemical smell.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:03 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I don't know exactly what they have available as I've only used the shop a couple of times for minor stuff. I'm looking forward to doing my first oil change on the car and getting familiar with it. The previous two oil changes were done by the local indy shop. My turn.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I gotta believe Simple Green is going to be acceptable as it isn't flammable. It will be hard to put the engine or underside of the car in an Ultrasonic Cleaner?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I was being a smart-alec about the ultrasonic cleaner (a la Formula One).

On second thought, I guess I'd probably do the oil change in an environment that has no problem with water. You might be better off in the parking lot or driveway. The issue will be the inevitable baptism of oil, and then the clean up. If you go ahead with the suggested venue, can you rinse the de-greaser away?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:46 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I thought maybe you were expecting me to take the exchangers off and put them in aultrasonic cleaner.

They have a pretty good facility, 14 workstations with three of them just for oil changes...I'm pretty sure they've had their share of spills. Whether they have a bay dedicated to rinse off degreaser, I have no idea. I wish I had one of those scissors lifts, in the meantime I'll try to take advantage of their facilities.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:53 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

I see.

For what it's worth, you probably could get away with just driving on some 2x4 planks to raise the car. Actually, I lower mine back on the ground to let the oil out. I don't think you'll be needing the lift.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:22 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jorge:

The hobby shop should have a wash rack for that kind of thing. With any luck, they will have a steam cleaner as well. That is the best way to go. If not, they should have a degreaser they use as well or can recommend. Ask the guys in the motor pool.

So, what are you taking at the Academy?

FWIW: I wish the ANG would let us have a hobby shop.....
Old 02-03-2010, 01:39 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

I'm retired Air Force (24 years) and I live a couple of miles from the North Gate. Need to take advantage of the benefits and use what's available.

I'll probably take some Simple Green with me and go from there.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:25 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by salukijac
I'm retired Air Force (24 years) and I live a couple of miles from the North Gate. Need to take advantage of the benefits and use what's available.

I'll probably take some Simple Green with me and go from there.
Jorge,

Thanks for your service.

Check with the folks there, like I said, they may (should) have a steam cleaner. If so, it will do a great job without the mess of simple green.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:47 AM
bart1
Race Car

As Harry said, thanks for tour service. When degreaser questions come up, I always recommend Xenit, made by Stoner Products. Fantastic degreaser that smells like orange.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

i wouldn't waste good " lift time" on an oil change. it can be done very easily on the ground. In fact the easiest car i have ever done. i would do it before hand and use the lift primarily for cleaning up inspecting CV joints , take the wheels off etc. .. a funny story about cleaning the heat exchangers .. I had a small leak on my car when I first got it . NEVER a drop on the garage floor though .
One day i decide to clean all the muck and filth off the heat exchangers . there was tonnes of it , about a 16/th thick of oil grime and filth... got it all off and the exchangers looked great ... now when the car leaks there is no muck and filth to absorb it while it burns off .. it runs straight down my clean exchanger and on to my garage floor ...
Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts

I wonder if they have a Helsinki Smash Rod in one of the cabinets there . . . . .
Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 AM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

HarryD/bart1,

You're welcome, it was my pleasure serving, other than my family it is the best thing that ever happened in my life.

Ice,
It is very affordable to use the lifts at the Academy, I think it's $3/hr plus one of the reasons to put it on the lift is for me to check all those things that you mentoined above. I will be armed with the Bentley and the 101 911 projects and just look around to get familiar with the car.

I'm also putting to test the myth/theory of using dino oil vs. semi-synthetic. The previous owner swore by dino and claimed he had absolutely no leaks, when I bought the car. As soon as I bought the car I switched to Brad Penn and then the leak started. I'm going back to dino oil to see what happens and therefore I need to clean the underside to ascertain if there is really a difference. Don't have high expectations but it is worth a shot.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Solvent