Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 10:57 PM
R Robinson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Wet weather hesitation

The car: 1984 Carrera
Engine: 3.2L - tuned with 90k miles.

The problem: In heavy rain at speed the engine will hesitate severely and sputter. When the rain lightens and or the engine/part(s) dries the problem disappears.

Things tried: Throttle adjustments. Spraying the spark plug wires and distributor with water with the engine running.

Results: Could not get the engine to miss while idling nor could I see any sparking, however once I left the driveway with the engine still wet it hesitated for about a mile then was fine.

Concerns: Don't want to buy expensive wires or distributor if not necessary. The car will be on the track in two days and rain is forcasted. But I have to order wires and or distributor tomorrow to get them on time.

Also: In hot weather - Car does have tendancy to idle erratically when hot. It can/will stall but once restarted is OK. It does not like idling in traffic on a summer day. But then who does?

Ideas? It's got to be electrical!

Thanks,

reg
Old 05-14-2003, 12:18 AM
upallnight
Intermediate

Car seems to be hesistating only when it's under load. Since you sprayed the wires and dizzy with water it could be either one.

I would order new wires and dizzy cap and rotor. Change the cap and rotor first and try the water spray. If it still hesitate try the wires.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:33 AM
RoninLB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would try to dry out inside the dizzy with some spray/etc the next time it happened.. assuming that there is no wire arcing.........Ron
Old 05-14-2003, 06:32 AM
estefano_ch
4th Gear

Reg

Check the relay and fuse box on the left in the motor compartment.

I had a similar problem with my 82'. I cleaned the fuses and the connectors and it disappeared. The coil is wired there.

stefan

Quick Reply: Wet weather hesitation