1981 Porsche 911 SC Targa - Welcome

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1981 Porsche 911 SC Targa - Welcome

Hello everyone!

Over the holidays I purchased a 1981 SC and just received it yesterday.

I have a lot to learn! But first a bit of background. I've owned a series of Porsche's over the last 15 years, primarily 964's and 944's. My dad first had me turning a wrench fixing a 914 some 35 years ago, but it was my college roomate who turned me onto the 911. He received a 1979 911 SC as his graduation gift in 1981 (he grew up in a different class neighborhood then me!). We really had some fun in that car. I've wanted an SC ever since!

So fast forward to today. Occasionally I will do minor repair work for some of the guys at work that also own 911's, and had been getting that "desire" to own an older model, and have secretely been looking for a white SC targa. I found one for sale recently down in Naples, Florida and purchased it. I did not tell my boss (the wife) about it till a week later. I also had this crazy idea that it would be cool to take my daughter on a few DE's at Road Atlanta.... but she still needs to learn to drive a stick!

The car is no garage queen, although it is reported to have "low Miles" on it (56k). Not sure... I'll know for sure when I pull the engine for a cleanup and valve adjustment. As is, it is a great driveable car.

This car is FUN! I took it for a short drive..... it is so light compared to my 964 C4. Very responsive to steering and throttle input.

So, I really did not think I'd have to learn a whole lot having worked on similar cars in the past, but am quickly finding how nieve I was. I do get almost as much fun working on cars as driving them.

A few things that I will need to sort out (but will perhaps re-ask when the time comes to work on it):

* The car high revs to 1800 rpm on startup. I found a few threads on the subject, but will likely wait till I get the Bentley book, Adrian's and the shop manual before doing much. I'm just not that familar with the injectors and ignition for the SC.

* The carpet has got to go. It is tathered and worn out. I'm not sure if I can find a replacement set in the same color (coffee brown).... On the other hand... maybe I should just yank it all out and use it as a dedicated DE car....

* Targa roof has a leak around the front

* Bilstien sport shocks... still have the originals

* It has a Cat bypass. Being an older car, I need to check if Georgia lets me register it without one. If they don't, I will need to find one.... seems there should be a loaner pool for this kind of thing

Guys, the thing I'm looking forward to most is joining another of the Rennlist forums. You all seem to be a great, tight group.

Tom
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

Default Obligatory photos

photos from the ad
Attached Images     
Old 01-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Welcome. You know this thread is worthless without pics.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Looks very nice!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

welcome aboard .. now just get rid of that hideous looking steering wheel cover
Old 01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
tgage
Rennlist Member

yea... that was the first to go!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

other than that looks like a great car, nicely lowered . Although my Targa has a Carrera tail there is something to be said for those smooth early looks ..
Old 01-25-2010, 11:01 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome !

Nice Targa

I agree with Iceman, lose the steering wheel cover please.

Bentley book is good to have, Haynes manual is good for the bookshelf.

John
Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 98 Posts

That car looks quite clean in the pics.

You should be able to get the exact carpet color in the original sliverknit material. It is not a hard job at all. I bought my carpet from Classic 9 Leather shop, but there are many other sources. I constantly hear good things about Appbiz.

Looks like a real nice car, and if that mileage is real, so much the better.

Welcome!
Old 01-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Mia911
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome... Very nice ...
Old 01-26-2010, 11:51 AM
tgage
Rennlist Member

I have Bilstiens in the 964 and have been pretty happy with them, so I think I'm going to stick with replacing these with their sport shock while keeping the car at a low stance. Although the 964 is at RSA heights, this car is actually lower! Seems to work well.

I ordered some leatherique to work on the seats. It is good to here that one can get the carpet in the orignal color. I thought the only options were black and tan. I need to do a search to see if anyone has ever tried mixing brown and black, but if I'd prefer to stick with the factor colors. Cosmetics are the least important thing on these cars.
Going to be fun.

tom
Old 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM
slfan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations. Interior looks very nice. Hope the steering wheel cover was placed there to keep the steering wheel in mint condition. I once bought a car where the owner had placed horrible covers. The nice thing was that the owner did this as soon he purchased the car new and twenty years later I was left with mint seats. Hope you have the same luck.

Regards,
AM
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like your attitude. Your going to have a lot of fun. Looks real low in the rear. You may want to consider the chassis as a starting point with the aformentioned shocks/bushings/tie rods/ball joints, etc. at which point a good set up with alignment and corner weighting will be it for a while. You may need to find a good shop for the set up part if you do the work yourself. Go see Franz Blam there in Atlanta and be done with it.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:34 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice...good you posted pics, as some ****** can be real ****** about that...

Enjoy,..you are welcomed here.

Best,
Old 01-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 136 Posts

The needles on the gauges are not faded so it looks like the previous owner kept it in the garage. Leather conditioner will soften the seats up. Always have liked the look of having the front chin spoiler with no tail on the rear. If you are going to track it, pick up a second decklid with a Carrera tail on it to balance out the aero.

Quick Reply: 1981 Porsche 911 SC Targa - Welcome