Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

M&K or Fabspeed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 02:51 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 49 Posts
Default M&K or Fabspeed?

I'm getting ready to install a stainless muffler on my '87. It will just be a one in one out. I can't decide between a M&K or Fabspeed. I currently have a Fabspeed test pipe and I don't really care for it. Why you ask - It has lowered the position of my exhaust tip roughly 1.75". When I had the cat on, there was no issue with the position. I'm thinking I may have to put a new test pipe on to correct that issue so I'm not to jazzed about that.

Anyway - I am looking for a nice throaty sound and best craftsmanship. I don't want to deal with cracking issues in the future. Any recommendations on the best muffler to buy?

Thanks for the read!
Old 01-25-2010, 03:10 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

M&K, hands down; their quality is first-rate.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed. Here's my 1in1out on youtube with a euro catbypass: http://www.youtube.com/user/RickROW9.../4/TdnfTRZr8yA

(I have a second video from the outside as well - just look for it).

Here's the cockpit sound WOT: http://www.vimeo.com/7412278
Old 01-25-2010, 04:06 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Great sound, Rick! Thanks for the links.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm wondering about the muffler tip being almost 2" lower. The muffler should be bolted in place, and the exhaust manifold should be as well. Is the flange bent? The bypass pipe itself should be straight, is it not?
Old 01-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Rick K
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1stgear
Great sound, Rick! Thanks for the links.
Ain't a thang.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:53 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
I'm wondering about the muffler tip being almost 2" lower. The muffler should be bolted in place, and the exhaust manifold should be as well. Is the flange bent? The bypass pipe itself should be straight, is it not?
Yes, both are bolted in place. I don't think the flange is bent and the bypass pipe is straight. Since the muffler sat/hung fine with the stock cat, I was thinking maybe something was wrong with the way the bypass was welded??
Old 01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno. I change my Fabspeed CBP uh...bianually (cough). For you know, off road use only. It is a straight shot. I'll come back to this post and add a pic later.

Edit:

Here's a pic of mine installed. It was a simple 10 minute bolt in job once I removed the cat. The hardest part of the job was the rusty old bolts. I decided to grit my teeth and break them in half with my wrench rather than try cutting them off. I also added a second bung so that I can monitor the O2 sensor with my LM-1 when conditions call for it.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:08 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rusnak
I dunno. I change my Fabspeed CBP uh...bianually (cough). For you know, off road use only. It is a straight shot. I'll come back to this post and add a pic later.
Thanks! I'll come back and check it out.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:26 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st gear, I think your Fabspeed pipe is welded in the wrong position. I had a Fabspeed with the same problem you are talking about. I sent it back to Fabspeed after it was determined that the jig used to hold the pipe, flange, etc for welding was not aligned properly. It took me over 3 months to ship it, have it corrected, and get it back. It was also not 100% correct when I tried to install it, but I managed to get in on by loosening bolts and spreading the (non-fit) across all the bolts. If you know someone who can weld, they might be able to heat it and align it.
Old 01-25-2010, 08:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Fabspeed is notorious for fitment issues. My guess is they either don't have a welding fixture, don't know how to use it, don't want to spend time using it correctly, or didn't spend any time making sure it was correct.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:15 AM
Hooverwi
Instructor

I have an M&K and love it! Highly recommended!
Old 01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to add confusion, but I really like the Monty mufflers. I have had tons of experiance with them and they are of top quality. M&K would easily be my my choice given the two in the original post. My circle of owners/customers always went with the Monty at our reccomendation, it's what we knew worked and never disappointed. My limited exposure to the M&K has me sure that they are a superlative piece and they sound very close to the Monty and have top-notch build quality. My $.02
Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ron mcatee
1st gear, I think your Fabspeed pipe is welded in the wrong position. I had a Fabspeed with the same problem you are talking about. I sent it back to Fabspeed after it was determined that the jig used to hold the pipe, flange, etc for welding was not aligned properly. It took me over 3 months to ship it, have it corrected, and get it back. It was also not 100% correct when I tried to install it, but I managed to get in on by loosening bolts and spreading the (non-fit) across all the bolts. If you know someone who can weld, they might be able to heat it and align it.
Oh that's just great news. I don't know anyone who can weld SS. Looks like I can get the M&K bypass and muffler for less than the Fabspeed muffler. I'll probably just order a whole set up from M&K. I don't feel like waiting 3 mo. to get that bypass correctly welded. I guess I can say bye bye to almost $400. F-me.

How is M&K on shipping? Do they stock their items or do you have to wait once ordered?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:12 AM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the picture, RUSNAK.

Quick Reply: M&K or Fabspeed?