Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

input needed 1975 Mexico Blue 911S

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
kevjandon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default input needed 1975 Mexico Blue 911S

Some of you read a post I had on a Mexico Blue 1975 911S.

Looked at it again last night and took some photos.

The white oil filter is a Bosch. There is a wire hanging down near the transmission that goes to something??? Just above the exhaust tail pipe there is another wire tucked up in the bumper area by the tail lights???

It has the original oil return tubes. It has the original distributor too (not electronic) I have no idea what thermal reacotors look like, are they there?

Is the overspray under the car from the factory or part of the repaint? It is hard to tell. Look at the control arms in the rear window wells and the front wheel wells. There is no overspary in those locations. No bolts have overspray either. The blue under the car is so even on both sides it looks like it would have been done in a factory booth prior to the rocker panels being attached.

Here is the link to another batch of photos too:
http://s850.photobucket.com/albums/ab68/porsha9_11/

Please provide your thougths:
Attached Images                
Old 01-21-2010, 02:50 PM
abe
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It does look like a very nice car and may be a great find! I know you mentioned you owned various P cars before...but did you ask why a car with only 15k had a repaint? In some ways this car looks like a 15k car..interior looks great.. in other ways it does not. Why would someone spend money on the oil fed tensioner on a "new" car that they were not planning on using? I think the oil cooler under the wheel may also be aftermarket...someone else could shed light. Looks like a nice car no matter what...but I am not convinced that it only has 15k on it....just be carefull there are alot of bad folks out there.
abe

Last edited by abe; 01-21-2010 at 06:05 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:57 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would be interested to find out what a carfax shows (if anything at all). It's a very nice car but it doesn't look like 15K miles. The pictures from the underbody look to me consistent with a 115K-mile car (compared to other pictures I saw in pelican of 75 911).

I'm pretty sure a 75 with 15K miles would command a very hefty price tag.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 PM
wpriller
Burning Brakes

There are no thermal reactors on this car, and it is my understanding that only California cars came with the thermal reactors.:
Old 01-21-2010, 04:05 PM
mholbrook38
Track Day

The brake caliper shown looks pretty clean, like a 15k car. However I agree that some more detective work needs to be done. Very curious about the asking price.

Mike
Old 01-21-2010, 05:10 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Those had to be hardest fifteen thousand miles ever put on a car.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:16 PM
cali4sun
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not think you can get a Carfax pre 1981?

'89 928S4 GP White/Black
'76 912E Silver/Black sunroof
Old 01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
mck911
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
Those had to be hardest fifteen thousand miles ever put on a car.
+1
Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I agree. I don't think this is a 15K mile car. It looks like it's been cleaned up with a pressure washer, and it looks like someone spent some time scraping oil residue off, and took some paint off in the process. Hopefully the oil cooler does not flow too fast. The lines are smaller in the factory coolers.

I also believe Porsche was still dipping the entire body in paint when this car was made, so any overspray is likely to be a re-paint.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know, I see lots of the original cosmoline from the factory which gets pretty gunky with age. I would say it's time-aged as much as use-aged. I would bet, however, that it will use-age quickly if put back into service. Low mile cars are a slippery slope and a PPI is hard to do when everything looks and works about like it should. I'd be curious to see whats happenning in 10k miles. A good PPI could reveal the underlying truth about the milage and condition claims if there is any deception, or misconception, going on. Still a cool car if purchased with the expectations of going thru it. Unmollested cars are the easiest to restore if you get my drift, and that may come down to keen purchasing negotiations.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:06 PM
kevjandon
Racer

What are your clues that the mileage is hard? Look at the floor pan, it is like new.

This is a 1975 911. The dirt you see in the wheel wells comes right off with the wipe of your finger. My guess is the guy lived off a gravel or dirt road. Not uncommon for 1975 in my area. As far as the engine, most of the dirt is a result of the leaks it developed from sitting over the years. The koni's aren't bright red because they are leaking and shot. Even in an airport hanger we still get a lot of dust here and it has clung on to the wet spots. A couple of hours of wiping under the car would do wonders to the appearance.

When you look at things such as the brake calipers, the nuts, bolts and clamps, the rings on the CV joints all the clad plating is still bright.

Please shed some light as to what you're seeing that makes you feel the miles are not genuine. Thanks.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:08 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Correct Rusnak on the dipping. However, over the years, the factory used different methods of undercoating the cars and overspray (on the bottom) was inconsistant. I think you will find a similar spray pattern under most aircooled 911s, even well into the 80s. This is a big concours debate.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
C4 Pazzo
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The wire hanging down by the drive shaft near the transmission is for the switch for the backup lights. The two ends fit into the switch on the side of the transmission.
Old 01-21-2010, 06:25 PM
whalebird
Race Car

No back-up lights. Thats a bargaining chip if you ask me.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Some ways that car looks clean, others it looks too clean. Someone has spent some time with a pressure washer as noted. Look at the engine bottom-its really splotchy as I'd expect to see with a quick go with a pressure wand.

The overspray looks entirely too bright to be 34 years old-I vote that it is from the respray. This is no time capsule, but it could be a good car if sound mechanically and you buy it right.

Quick Reply: input needed 1975 Mexico Blue 911S