Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Hi, I am new and I have a quick question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 PM
BoyRacer
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, I am new and I have a quick question

Firstly, I would like to say hello. Its nice to find this place. A brief history of moi.
I have had a lot of weird and wonderful cars in my life...too many to name. But recently I have owned a 65 Stingray, Series 1 and series 3 E types, a 78 Porsche 930, a 78 911 Cab.
Now I have a 1991 C2 that started its road life in Japan and I bought it in Vancouver. It has 73000K on it and is a really excellent example. It is much better than a 10 footer.
My problem is I am not a tech guy which is a most important component of owning a Porsche. Much more than many of the cars I have owned.
Having said that, when i bought this car a couple of years ago, I was going to use it for a daily city driver and was not very fond of Porsche clutches after driving Jags. (No offense intended) so I got a Tiptronic version. Which was nice for my purposes. Times have changed and this car is now relegated to fun car.
So the question.....and I noticed that very, very long thread on performance chips....and I did get very, very lost....is if i put a chip in my C2, will it gain back a lot of the 18 per cent power loss to the auto transmission? I couldn't actually figure that out reading the thread. I would love to hear from folks who have done something similar and do you get a "snappier" acceleration in normal smaller city driving conditions. I guess I am asking if you love this mod.
Hope this isn't too boring and it hasn't been simply answered somewhere that
I missed.
Cheers,
Graham
Old 01-18-2010, 10:07 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A '91 would be what...a 993? I think Porsche was on to Vario ram, Vario cam, etc by then. I think you might be interested in Paul Frere's book "Porsche 911 Story". Sorry I could not answer the chip question, but I don't think you're losing that much power via the Tip tranny.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:28 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
A '91 would be what...a 993? I think Porsche was on to Vario ram, Vario cam, etc by then. I think you might be interested in Paul Frere's book "Porsche 911 Story". Sorry I could not answer the chip question, but I don't think you're losing that much power via the Tip tranny.
A '91 is a 964 and several years before the introduction of vario-ram.

If it were my car, I would chip it and then focus on suspension and brakes. These cars always feel faster when they handle better.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:07 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I can see how a chip would help then. As for suspension and brakes, it probably would actually be a little bit faster. I don't know about 18% though.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

You may want to post this on the 964 section here on Rennlist.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:26 PM
DesignerGenes
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused. They drive on the left in Japan, with the wheel on the right. Has your car been converted to left-hand controls?

From what I've read, there is no 18% power loss with the Tiptronic transmission, at least not with newer ones. Personally, I can't understand a 911 with an automatic transmission, even though the new PDK is supposedly faster than the six speed to 60 mph. That doesn't happen with a nearly one fifth power loss. That'd be the equivalent of dropping my 444 HP to 364 HP -- before considering the loss in the drive lines.

You know the real difference between the old E type (one beautiful car) and the 911? Well, there were plenty of differences, but the big one is that they still make the 911.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:04 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy, welcome!
One of my sources states a .9 sec difference in 0-60 for a '91 Tip vs Std & top speed 159 vs 162mph. Also, the Tip is 69 lbs heavier. Overall, I don't think you are dealing w/ a 18% loss - where did you get that? Query the 964 boards for specific leads on cost-effective perf upgrades. My own approach would be to make sure it is in optimum tune, get in the habit of manually shifting as much as possible & find an instructor for a Porsche Club DE who knows & likes the 964 Tip. Chip + exhaust & chassis-lightening are the next stages. Good luck & enjoy!
Old 01-25-2010, 10:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,108 Likes on 792 Posts

Hi I am old and have a quick answer ...... wrong forum .... !!

okay enough of being a total dick !!! . I don't think a chip can get you 18% but it will certainly breath more life into your car . I think you will need really high octane gas to exploit it though ...

on another note you said you had a 78 cab . of course they never mad a 78 cab . Was yours one of those targa conversions. ? i have the tech article on how to do it and looks like a great project. ..and it can't leak any more than my Targa !
Old 01-26-2010, 10:21 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For a tiptoe car, I would explore the exhaust option mentioned above. These can be costly for a 964 but well worth it. The chip option is there but copius amounts of debate will insue if it is discussed here and I wonder it it would have an effect on the shift patterns, idle quality, etc. I think GTgears nailed it with the chassis mods over motor in this case. With a modest set of legs under the car you will probably bring out the best in your car. Remeber the old sportamatic 911 of the early seventies? Many sharp drivers prefered these for autocross as long as the chassis was dialed in - sneaky fast on the street.
The 964 forum has a bunch of smart guys with first hand experiance.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:01 AM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Remeber the old sportamatic 911 of the early seventies?"
yes indeed, whale - & thanks for the reminder of Quick Vic's exploit...

"Later that year (1967) he won the 84 Hour “Marathon de la Route” event at the Nürburgring, on the full 28km long combined versions that was rarely used since the 1930s. Fellow pilots Hans Herrmann and Jochen Neerpasch preferred “the rally driver” to steer the Porsche 911 through the 7 hours long, four consecutive night turns in rainy and foggy conditions. The winning car was fitted with a semi-automatic Sportomatic transmission, as was another Porsche 911S entered by the factory team."

also an example of why improving one's driving skill should be in everyone's hardware upgrade budget.

Quick Reply: Hi, I am new and I have a quick question