Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Pursuing yet another lead

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:21 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pursuing yet another lead

It's an 85 Targa with 127k miles and the current owner is the 3rd. New tires and clutch. Asking $12.5k but he's thinking of dropping to $12k.

No known accidents. No reported leaks or smoking. Paint reported good other than a few nicks and a scratch seen in the photos he provided. He says he has most receipts going back to birth.

The bad:
Headlights stuck on bright....switch
Power Seats not working and drivers seat worn and needs attention.
AC does not work
Steering wheel worn
Dash cracks

I have owner concerns that I'm not sure if I should worry about. The owner seems a little Porsche naive which make me question the quality of service the vehicle has received, meaning may not be someone familiar with Porsche's. Clutch and some oil changes was done at a place called Rizzoli's automotive which appears a reputable shop but maybe not specializing in Porsche.

Anyway, car seems ok. Certainly some initial bargaining points with the to-do list.

Another far away car that I would need to convince a local Porsche lover to have a look at. Not the last though....for another thread.

Enjoy the photos, comment, persuade, deter.

Last edited by murphyjp; 01-24-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:23 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Additional photos

Last edited by murphyjp; 01-24-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I'll bet there's more "deferred maintenance" unseen on this one. At least he's somewhat realistic in his asking, although the dash, seats and A/C could possibly rack up some $ in short order. I love "thinking about lowering it to $12K".....that means its been for sale for at least some duration. Maybe he'll "think" of going to $10 or 11K?
Old 01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car looks reasonably clean. Oil leaks not too bad. Dash looks from those pictures like normal warping/shrinking that all leather dashboards will have. The seats not working can be a blown fuse or switch. The cruise control cable looks to be missing. Those are NLA, last time I looked. Headlights switch can be very expensive unless you are able to fix the old one. Seat covers are expensive too unless you can re-dye or spray the old one to get more use out of it. I like the fact that the old air cleaner is on the car.

The AC compressor still has the belt on it, so it did not likely lock up. It could be either a bad relay, or wiring problem, or just low on refrigerant. Most likely an evac/ recharge and new receiver dryer will be on the menu, as well as new o-rings and a hose or two.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:06 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

Spend a little more for an 87 in much better condition

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=27687

John
Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Yeah, good buy, but I'm looking for a targa.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

My two cents might not be worth much but that seems like a lot of miles on an engine drivetrain that hasn't been obviously LOVED. You know, Porschephile owner, all service records, periodic engine adjustments and maintenance from accredited shop(s).
Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
murphyjp
Instructor

Been gathering info with the seller via email, but not in a day or so. Just got a message asking if I'm still interested. As follows..

Hi, I didn't hear from you and assume you are either busy or not interested. If you aren't I would like to know why so I am able to figure out future queries with other potential buyers. But I must tell you that I am very serious and I do need to sell it soon. So I would bring the amount down further in order to get it moving. It is a great automobile but it does have those problems.
Me thinks motivated.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:36 AM
SKYSTAK
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

buy mine
will end you PM
Old 01-20-2010, 11:13 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

That car does not look "loved"

Noticed this one for sale in my area... no details.. looks pretty nice but hard to tell with crappy low res pics.

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1558760079.html
Old 01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I'd say that NJ car is VERY interesting. Price seems quite reasonable if as stated.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:38 AM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

I can go check out the NJ car if needed. I have a soft spot for GR Targa's

Ed, your car has totally convinced me to go back to Fuchs on my 86 this summer.... sweet.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fuchs are the only way to go. marc, you will love them from the minute you put them on and feel how much more spirited the car is. I never cared for the heavy cast wheels so often put on earlier cars. No offence of any intended, but there is a differance. Ed's car is a beauty no doubt...just waiting to see what that 3.4 is going to do...
Old 01-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys! At 15.2/15.8 lbs front and rear, these wheels are quite light.

I can't wait for the 3.4 to be done either-trying to decide when to start. I'm thinking mid-late Feb. How do you decide when to end the fun with a perfectly good car for a short while?!?
Attached Images  
Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by whale bird
Fuchs are the only way to go. Marc, you will love them from the minute you put them on and feel how much more spirited the car is. I never cared for the heavy cast wheels so often put on earlier cars. No offense of any intended, but there is a difference. Ed's car is a beauty no doubt...just waiting to see what that 3.4 is going to do...

No offense at all, I put those wheels on my 86 almost 14 years ago! wanted to brighten the car up a bit and run a little more tire.
But I'm ready to go back!
I still have my Fuchs 16" in the garage.. but.. looking at Ed's..... they may not be the way to go.

Quick Reply: Pursuing yet another lead