Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Why is Battery Dead

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 PM
RSWiser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is Battery Dead

In about July I put a new Red Optima battery in my 1980 911 SC.
I have not driven it a great deal since winter set in but I did drive last Saturday and it started but I could tell in was not a full battery. Drove about 20 miles Saturday and started a couple of times no problem.

Today I went to drive it and nothing. I checked and not lights had been left on.

What would drain a new battery that fast.

I plugged my new Battery Tender in and it shows that the battery is not accepting a charge. Battery Tender is Red Blinking Light.

So do I do a new battery?

Rob
Old 01-16-2010, 07:38 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

sounds like it is toast
Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

One week shouldn't kill a battery unless it is toast as Iceman notes.

Check the simple stuff.
- Is the Battery Tender connected properly? Connecting it backwards will give the flashing red light.

Finding parasitic drains is a time consuming task. The most obvious that come to mind are aftermarket alarm and sound systems along with the power window drain.

The best way to find a drain is to remove all fuses, put an ammeter in line with the + battery cable and watch for current spikes. Anything over 200mA total for the car should indicate a problem.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:24 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long did the previous battery run? Or, what prompted the battery changeout to begin with? Symptomatic then?

Thanks,

Doyle
Old 01-16-2010, 09:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A dedicated battery charger is probably a wise investment. You can get a "smart charger" that has an automatic or float feature, and set it on 2 amps auto charge. Sometimes it takes awhile for a really drained battery to accept a charge.

I just brought back a battery from one of my friend's '87 slantnose turbo targa last week that he thought was dead.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm very sorry to suggest I Googed around a while ago and found that when a modern battery gets deeply discharged permanent damage in the form of lessened capacity is often the result. Batteries of 20+ years ago were better made. Hopefully yours is somehow okay.

If you get the battery to work decently, even if it can't turn the starter, you can at least check the amperage draw when parked with an ammeter and check that reading against specifications. Will at least tell you if something's wrong with the car. FWIW, I know newer 997 cars aren't supposed to draw more than 25mA when parked; that's a big draw BTW.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:23 AM
RSWiser
Advanced

I have a battery charger at my shop so I will get that tomorrow.

But I need to find the drain.

Far as I know the only thing on was the clock.

I don't have a custom stereo, nor do I have an alarm. Last time I drove the car I did use the headlights but I checked the switches and nothing was on.

As you stated, maybe I bought a lemon. But I have the receipt.

Rob
Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't give up just yet. You may have options if you just don't want to return it.

Check this thread from Optima: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...a-battery.html
Old 01-17-2010, 01:42 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Several weeks ago I accidentally left the glove box door partially open in our '88 Carrera, result, totally dead battery.

"Modern" charger would not recharge the totally dead battery, charger "check" light kept coming on. So I bridged in, paralleled, another partially charged (47%) 12 volt lead-acid battery. In the process of recharging the partially charged battery it also brought the charge up on the DEAD battery enough that it would then again accept a full charge.

Damn modernization....
Old 01-17-2010, 01:48 AM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RSWiser
In about July I put a new Red Optima battery in my 1980 911 SC.
I have not driven it a great deal since winter set in but I did drive last Saturday and it started but I could tell in was not a full battery. Drove about 20 miles Saturday and started a couple of times no problem.

Today I went to drive it and nothing. I checked and not lights had been left on.

What would drain a new battery that fast.

I plugged my new Battery Tender in and it shows that the battery is not accepting a charge. Battery Tender is Red Blinking Light.

So do I do a new battery?

Rob
"Today" is Saturday. Do you mean Saturday a week ago..??

A trunk or glove box light could easily drive the battery down to DEAD in that time.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:15 AM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would also have the alternator checked just to make sure it is putting out correctly. Autozone does it for free.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:42 AM
RSWiser
Advanced

thanks for the tips and info.
Rob
Old 01-17-2010, 12:53 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Several weeks ago I accidentally left the glove box door partially open in our '88 Carrera, result, totally dead battery.

Damn modernization....
Yeah. Funny that when I see my car parked with a glove comparment or door slightly open I almost have a heart attack. Haven't awakened in the middle of the night yet, you know, wake up in a cold sweat not with a heart attack but rather worried that I didn't close the door all the way!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:06 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

My Optima lost it's charge during the cold snap and it quickly died attempting to start the Targa.
It was even disconnected.

Hooked up a charger at 2 amps for 24 hours and all is well, for now...

John
Old 01-17-2010, 04:52 PM
RSWiser
Advanced

I tested the battery with my volt meter it was .21.

So I have hooked up to a good battery in parallel and the charger on. I'll give it a couple hours then charge it all the way up.

Let it sit for 24-48 hour and see what drain I get.

Can anyone tell me how to test my alternator to see if it is working correctly.. Also how do I search for the drain when everything is off?

Thanks,
Rob

Quick Reply: Why is Battery Dead