Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Bavarian Coach Werks / Clay Doppke

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great reply. I so respect the time this Gentleman took to respond. Cool information......he's into horses so it's "from the horse's mouth" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, again.

Kudos to you, Sir. I wish you and yours' the best!!!!!!!!!

Doyle
Old 02-22-2010, 08:37 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 339 Likes on 151 Posts

OH MY GOODNESS CLAY!!! So glad to know that the news of your demise was exaggerated. I know Mike will be too. You had the Mc part of his last name right. Pretty good memory. I'll let him know that you've posted. He's been trying to find you for a while. He LOVES his car and will never part with it. He just became a member of Rennlist and I'll tell him to get his little bottom over here asap to see what you've posted.

So you've exchanged one type of horsepower for another. nothing wrong with that......

Thanks for posting and stay healthy. No more demise talk!!!!
Old 02-23-2010, 03:45 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hey Clay,

Good to hear from you,...... Its been far too long,...give me call sometime!

George still has the car and now needs some TLC to bring up back up to snuff. Once some mechanical issues are addressed, it will be back to its nasty self,....LOL.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:22 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Mr. Dopke...thanks for the post, Your first I see. Normally I would say welcome to the Porsche community, but in this case I would have to say... Porsche community - welcome to Mr. Dopke. I came along as a young Porsche tech in a shop filled with old-time Porsche racers in Charleston SC. There was great admiration of your work then, and today. I do track time in a nasty fast SC with a prized set of your rockers flipping back and forth as they have for ten years now. I encourage you to enjoy your retirement and preserve your health. But if you ever want to chime in here at Rennlist, we're all ears.
God Bless you too.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM
WERK-I
Pro

Originally Posted by whalebird
Wow. Mr. Dopke...thanks for the post, Your first I see. Normally I would say welcome to the Porsche community, but in this case I would have to say... Porsche community - welcome to Mr. Dopke. I came along as a young Porsche tech in a shop filled with old-time Porsche racers in Charleston SC. There was great admiration of your work then, and today. I do track time in a nasty fast SC with a prized set of your rockers flipping back and forth as they have for ten years now. I encourage you to enjoy your retirement and preserve your health. But if you ever want to chime in here at Rennlist, we're all ears.
God Bless you too.
Well, Clay was a member of the Rennlist forums before they became as sophisticated as they are today. I remember exchanging blogs with Clay on turbocharged 911's at the same time I was trying to write code for speech apps. You don't have to ask which one was more enjoyable of the two.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:18 AM
SundanceQuarterHorses
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quickly, as I thought about it last evening after posting, I remembered the individuals name was Mike McFarland and if memory serves me correctly, he was a DR. living in Little Rock AK. I remember this as when the car was delivered he could not come up and get it and sent his wife. Now I was not very politically correct back then, thinking that this was a 'mans car', and I think I gave her the third degree about if she could manage to get the car back home because it was rather complicated on starting and to keep the engine cleaned out and such. My wife since then has altered my political correctness, (LOL) and I can remember the lady had NO problems getting it home, and was probably as good a driver as her husband if not better. If that is you, JoAnne, a thousand pardons from this humbled man.

Also, I can give you a tad more insight as to what is in the engine if you tell me but one little detail. Does it have a twin plug dist, or does it use crank triggered ignition, and where is the ignition unit located? About that time, we had a structured setup and the crank triggered ign only went on certain engine mods. Again, hope this was some help, and sorry about the name mixup.

Best to all
Clay
Old 03-18-2011, 01:46 PM
zooompilot
1st Gear

Default Clay has passed away....

If anyone finds this thread I just wanted to let you know that Clay Dopke passed away last November. He was fighting COPD for quite some time and unfortunately succumbed. He is survived by his wife, Kathy, children and his friends who loved him dearly.

Rest in peace brother.

Mike T.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:05 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Thank you zoom. Your first post is a very sad one. I did not know he had passed.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 PM
WERK-I
Pro

A true gentleman and enthusiast, par excellence. I had exchanged many emails early on in my Porsche learning phase days. He was always there, asking for nothing and giving his all.
I know this is a bit late, but my thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. Rest in Peace my friend.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Andy Kay
Rennlist Member

I was really enjoying this thread and then Zoom posted and reality hit home. I never new Clay but he sounds like a legend in his own time. May he rest in peace.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
b52sbabe
1st Gear

Clay was my late husband and yes, he was most def a legend! Wonderful man. I had someone call me today who owns the Banana Slugger. Aparently one of Clay's other friends is going to fly to the states from France and purchase it. I am thrilled to still be in the loop.
Thank you all,
Kathy
Old 11-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by b52sbabe
Clay was my late husband and yes, he was most def a legend! Wonderful man. I had someone call me today who owns the Banana Slugger. Aparently one of Clay's other friends is going to fly to the states from France and purchase it. I am thrilled to still be in the loop.
Thank you all,
Kathy
Hey Kathy,

You likely spoke with George ***, one helluva nice guy. The car needs a bunch of TLC, however it still goes like the hounds of hell,...

I'm sure the French gentleman will really enjoy the car and all its provenance as it contains Clay's DNA.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Herbie9146
2nd Gear

Default Clay Dopke / Bavarian Coach Werkes

Hi

I worked there in the late 80s and know all the cars. Which one was it and what do you want to know about it??
Old 03-04-2014, 12:03 PM
Herbie9146
2nd Gear

Hi Kat

Yes I was, but alas I still haven't made it there due to work commitments!!

Sounds like the engine has been rebuilt again too...
Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 PM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by RJT
I have another off the wall question for you guys.

Anyone here know anything about "Bavarian Coach Werks" in West Carrollton, Ohio and Clay Doppke? My friend is trying to find out anything he can about the engine and suspension mods they did to his car in the late 80's. he can't find any of his paperwork since that was so long ago.

Bavarian did a lot of mods and racing stuff. it's like a knockoff 935.... Jose Conseco was having a car modified for him at the same time his car was being worked on. Supposedly it has a stage 4 package(?)

Just thought I'd throw it out there and see if someone knows something.....
I lived in Dayton Ohio in the 80's and had some suspension work done by Clay. Good guy and set up my car nicely. He also did engine mods (top fan motors, rebuilds and other stuff) . Never had any of that done. I still have his sticker in my engine bay. I think he use to race Porsches in the 70's.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Rennlist Forums

Quick Reply: Bavarian Coach Werks / Clay Doppke