Central locking gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 12:04 PM
whiteNSXs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Central locking gremlin

Hi Guys,
I have a 1989 3.2 cab. The car has a little problem with the central locking. The key and the door ***** all work perfectly. It is the lighted lock button operation that is flawed. The button will glow when the parking lights are on as it should. However, the button will only lock the doors if the parking lights are on. When the doors are locked, the lock switch remains glowing instead of going into the brightly lit mode. To unlock, the ignition needs to be on. I have used another lock button pad from another 911 and the symptoms persist, so I know it is not the lock button pad. I bought the car used from a dealer and was wondering if the ex-owner spliced or jump some terminals for some aftermarket alarm. I could not find any aftermarket stuff on it. My next step would be to swap out the control unit to see if this will fix the problem. Anyone else experienced the same?
Thanks,
Steve
Old 01-11-2010, 01:12 PM
User 4221
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

I *think* the lock button only works with the key in the "on" or "run" position. I think it was designed for use while driving. If the key is out it may not work. That's how mine works and it appears to be unmolested.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:44 PM
whiteNSXs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott C
I *think* the lock button only works with the key in the "on" or "run" position. I think it was designed for use while driving. If the key is out it may not work. That's how mine works and it appears to be unmolested.
Actually, the lock button is supposed to lock with no key, but has to have the key turned to unlock according to the manual. Is it the other way around? This was the way my 1985 cab worked and my friend's 1987 cab does. This is just driving me nut.
I spent a few hours yesterday on this. Well at least I fixed the footwell blower noise while I was down there.
Steve

Quick Reply: Central locking gremlin