Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

How much longer will Porsche supply parts for 911's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 10:15 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I could disagree sig_a. Local Porsche dealers are some of the least knowledgeable and competetive pricing..well thats up to the dealer who prices whatever they want wherever they want. The elephant in the room here is the parts manufacturers. There are royalties, but they expire, and the maker of the parts continue to make and sell parts. The trademark "P" on parts from the factory is getting harder to find.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:52 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Sunset is the only Porsche dealer I will deal with for parts as it seams they are sensitive to the needs of people like ourselves and will go to any legnths to provide OE parts at competative prices .. there may be others but these are the only dealers I will work with
Old 01-12-2010, 11:54 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Sunset has a pretty good deal set up for the DIY.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
I could disagree sig_a. Local Porsche dealers are some of the least knowledgeable and competetive pricing..well thats up to the dealer who prices whatever they want wherever they want. The elephant in the room here is the parts manufacturers. There are royalties, but they expire, and the maker of the parts continue to make and sell parts. The trademark "P" on parts from the factory is getting harder to find.
Totally agree,...for the most part, the people who truly know air-cooled cars don't work at dealers anymore and the vast bulk of this "database" is at independent shops.

Dealer pricing varies widely, but Sunset does cater to the DIY'ers.

Whalebird is right about the parts manufacturers. Porsche's QC standards assure a usable and decent part but the rejects and others wind up oftentimes on the aftermarket in the wholesale pipeline which has become a concern.

Some parts containing the trademarked "P", are poor counterfeits of the real deal and to be avoided.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM
whalebird
Race Car

I've had parts delivered that the "P" was ground off from the maker. They could not sell the part with the trademark on it...so they removed it and sold it anyway. I think this happens, but intellectual property the maker has belongs to Porsche. Quality parts are hard to find. I really wonder about all those Ebay stores with "oem" parts.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:22 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

The other year I was going to order parts from my local dealer and the parts manager suggested I order from Pelican for a better price and faster shipping.

John
Old 01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
whalebird
Race Car

GothingNC, I find Pelican high(prices). Some things are better sourced through a dealer and, as stated above, Sunset is pretty good. It all depends on what your looking for. In Atlanta, Jim Ellis Porsche has offered attractive prices in the past and your on the east coast, so...
Old 01-12-2010, 07:10 PM
sig_a
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two Porsche dealerships here compete for DYI business on price and service. Delivered price from any on-line resellers is always higher than Beechmont/POV. PCA membership discount and west coast delivery to Ohio is a big factor. Plus, they employ friendly, experienced technicians who specialize on older models.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:14 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm on friendly terms with our local Porsche parts guys. They are very friendly, but I agree...they do not know the air cooled cars anymore. The aircooled guys have all retired, moved to other shops, or otherwise left. The Volkswagon guys are now working with the Porsche guys, and they had no idea that Volks now owns Porsche.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:17 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by whalebird
I find Pelican high(prices). Some things are better sourced through a dealer
Sunset definitely seems to have better prices than Pelican on Porsche-branded parts. I was recently looking to order a spare DME relay for my '87 Carrera and Pelican wanted $65 and Sunset was $41 for the same part. And since I'm in CA, I get dinged for 8.25% sales tax when ordering from Pelican. Pelican does seem to have good prices on OEM supplier parts, however.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Zims in DFW is also very good.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Zims is awesome. I found that Elephant is price competitive believe it or not, and so is Autohausaz. I've been lucky with the Ebay Porsche parts guys so far.
Old 01-12-2010, 11:22 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

Test of a response with a !BB bold and Opera mini version 5 beta
Old 01-12-2010, 11:44 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

? It's an opera in B-minor but member pricing is temporary for sure.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Many of the dealers have accounts with the wholesale houses as well. It's nice to see the trademark "P" on the parts from the dealer. It's a tricky game.

Quick Reply: How much longer will Porsche supply parts for 911's?