Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1984-1989 911 maintenance costs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:18 PM
ron mcatee
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a note to add based on Ed's comments about babying 911's. They were designed to be driven hard, but properly. I take my 88 911 to redline everytime I drive it. I wait until it reaches temperature, but then I drive the crap out of it. I change the oil every 3K miles and do all maintenance when required. In 42 years of owning 911's, I've never had an engine or tranny problem. I drove all of them like Dr Helmuth Bott told me to many years ago and I've been very happy with them.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:55 PM
logan2z
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Everett43
I am very tempted to buy one of his cars and have it shipped
to me in California.
Everett,

Just a couple of things to be aware of if you buy a car from out of state and import it to California:

First, it's best if the car is a 50-state car i.e. is certified to comply with CA emissions standards. This will be indicated on the emissions sticker in the engine compartment. You'll have to have the car inspected by a DMV verifier before you can register it, and that's something they'll look for. They may pass a 49-state car, but a car certified for use in CA gives you one less thing to worry about.

Second, if you buy the car in CA, the seller will have to smog the car before he can sell it to you. This guarantees that you will be able to register the car for operation in CA and you won't have to worry about a smog check for two years. If you buy out of state, it's up to you to have the car smogged before you can register it. If it fails, you'll have to make it comply on your dime.

I just bought a car from a seller in Oregon and had to go through this process. It's not that big a deal, but it's definitely a bit more work than buying a CA car.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Some great advice in this thread. I fully agree with driving these cars hard, but respectfully once they are warmed up. The 915 comments are right on about it being a great transmission if you have it operating property.

If I was the original poster and was really hot after this white Targa, I would yank that link to the car quickly. There have been enough instances in the 10 years that I've been around Rennlist of people posting links to the cars they were interested in only to have someone else see the link, then buy the car out from under the person posting on Rennlist.

Quick Reply: 1984-1989 911 maintenance costs?