Removing Oil Pipes on an SC

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
MikeTCarter
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Oil Pipes on an SC

Hi

I need to replace the oil pipe from tank to pressure relief valve, The problem is that the fixings are so rusted that I cant shift either end! Has anyone experience of this and ways to solve it.

Many thanks
Mike
Old 12-31-2009, 10:44 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,119 Likes on 801 Posts

we had to do this to drop an engine once. we just did the tank end but we basically did it with a big *** pipe wrench and replaced the line afterwards. the trick is holding the tank fiting secure. I can't remember if the fitting will unscrew out of the tanks but if it does you may as well let it then work on it on the bench.
I thought the other end went to the external thermostat .. if it does be acarefull as many have busted the stat trying to get it off .
Old 12-31-2009, 11:19 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

If you can heat the nut at all, that will help. I had to do this to break a line loose from my t-stat once, it made a huge difference.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:05 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's the thermostat that he's referring to, then be careful. I'd also vote for heat first. The problem is that the nut is steel and the thermostat is aluminum. The threads come out with the nut and ruin the thermostat.

If you are replacing the nut, then I'd go slow with a die grinder and just cut the damn thing off. I say again....slowly. This will weaken the nut to the point that you can remove it with an oil line wrench or large crescent.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:08 PM
MikeTCarter
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. I think grinding with dremel seems best option so will give that a go. Really comitted then!

Happy New Year
Old 01-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Oldtee
Pro

I have had some luck by tightening the nut a little. That breaks the corrosion and allows the nut to be removed. Back wrench them. If all else fails, the dremel solution will work. Just don't grind into the threads. Start with the thick end in two places. Good luck.
Old 01-01-2010, 07:15 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI: If the thermostat gets damaged, then Performance Products used to sell a "thermostat saver" by FVD. I think Pelican probably has added this to their inventory by now.

Also, if you have to grind off an oil line nut but want to re-use the oil line, then Elephant Racing has a slick nut setup that uses a snap-ring that you can use to save your old oil line, even if the nut has been cut off. A Dremel will take longer than a die grinder.

Quick Reply: Removing Oil Pipes on an SC