Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Replacing Inner Door Pulls - 84

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:30 PM
BusterBluth82
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Inner Door Pulls - 84

I need to replace the driver's side inner door pull on my 84 carrera. I have ordered the part, but swapping it out does not seem to be as easy as I had hoped. I am coming up black searching the forum posts. Can anyone give some advice or a quick how to?

Do I need to remove the door panel?

Thanks - Any comments/advice are much appreciated.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:27 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

??? The stock door handle?

Just remove the top door panel cap. You'll see two allen bolts. Remove them with an allen wrench. The other two are rececessed inside the handle itself. Use a needlenose pliers to disconnect the wire door latch mechanism, temporarily. If you have to remove the door pocket, it's just a matter of a half dozen phillips screws. No biggie. It's a 5 minute job.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 PM
lleellyn56
2nd Gear

I just did this on my 83 Cabriolet. The plastic handles were deteriorated and brittle. Recommend replacing with aluminum (see Pelican or Automation). These are much more durable and give a secure feel.

The pull rod prys out of the handle by lifting up - you can do this with a screw driver. After that, the handle will swing out to reveal allen screw that secure teh door pull. There are allen screws at the top of the door pull but these are covered by the trim piece that runs along the top of the door. This is removed by unscrewing 2 screws - one at each end. The one near the door opening is coverd by a plastic plug that pops out.
Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does he mean the door latch?

The little black lever that is inside the door pull? Those are held in by little c-clips. The door handle needs to be removed, then the c-clips. The door latch pin then comes out. Installation is reverse of removal.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:15 PM
BusterBluth82
AutoX

Thanks everyone. Got it fixed. It was a bit of a pain to remove the clip from the door handle post, but other than that, everything went smoothly.

Quick Reply: Replacing Inner Door Pulls - 84