Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Buyer Caution—2 ads today West Coast--- Zimmermann, please comment on trans work.

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 10:21 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buyer Caution—2 ads today West Coast--- Zimmermann, please comment on trans work.

Today, I came across these 2 ads that caught my attention. The details of the engine rebuilds and coincidence of the miles is a lesson to be learned.

The first shows a complete rebuild-------“1982 911SC Targa, 209,000k Looks and drives excellent, at 200,000k I did a major engine and transmission overhaul, replaced piston rings, all seals and gaskets including valve guide seals, re-lapped all valves, new chain rails, rebuilt the tensioners, new clutch kit, new pilot bearing, new motor and trans mounts, new belt and plugs, axle service including new boots, and rear drive seals. I also replaced the first and second gear synchro rings, the first gear tooth ring and all gaskets and seals in tranny.” ------- This may be an excellent rebuild, but why not replace bearings when the cases are split, replace the guides with the heads off, and oil fed tensioners are not that expensive to do with the engine out. The pistons and cylinders are always my boggle point when I see this type of rebuild. No one ever seems to have the tolerance numbers on the piston size and cylinder size and the clearance of each unit fitted together. The clearance of the ring in the grove is even more of a mystery.

I hope Peter will comment on the trans work in that I don’t know.

The second is a hi miles 911 SC that had a rebuild. It does not say what was done, but it emphasizes the need for Maule piston and cylinder replacement at rebuild. At 440,000 miles original piston and cylinders are not a selling point.------------SEE AD BELOW

“The body has 442,880 'everyday drive' miles NO RUST - Do not let the mileage be a concern as my car has been taken excellent care of.
Engine, original block, rebuilt June 1997 at 346,428 miles Rebuilt engine has 96,452 on it’"------------------------------

If this was correctly rebuilt, looks like another 250,000 till next rebuild??

Quick Reply: Buyer Caution—2 ads today West Coast--- Zimmermann, please comment on trans work.