77 911 3.0 - No Start

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 01:28 PM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 77 911 3.0 - No Start

Good Morning/Afternoon Gents -

I did a search but did not see this exact issue. I have the above car and an odd thing happened Sunday - after driving all the way to the south side of the city, the engine refused to start after sitting for 4 hours. She has a fairly recent Bosch Battery and cranks like crazy - but the flat six never comes online.

The one thing that stands out is that I don't hear the customary "Ping!" when I turn the ignition over to ACC. I have always taken that to be the fuel solenoid opening. I also don't hear any of the customary buzzing of the fuel pump. The fuel pump is a year old with less than 2500 miles on it.

I checked the fuses - they are good. One thing to note is that I don't smell any fuel when turning her over. In the past, when I was having hot-start ignition problems. you could always smell copious amounts of gas. Nothing now - not by the airbox and not by the exhaust.

So I am leaning toward fuel starvation - any tips on the best place to start the troubleshoot? I have AAA, so if I can't get her running, I'm just gonna have her towed to my house -

Rob

Last edited by robrichtx; 11-23-2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 11-23-2009, 02:50 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have my SC manual with me right now, but check for a fuel pump relay in the front trunk fuse box. It would be labelled on the inside cover if there is. Just swap one of the other round ones like the AC one for the fuel pump one. Should get you home. Could also be ignition switch. If you have an aftermarket alarm, could be that too. Just disconnect the battery for awhile and re-connect.

Edit:

Oh duh! I just realized that you've got a '77. Still, it has CIS like an SC. Says here you have both a fuse and a fp relay.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/911_...SC_Part1-2.jpg

Last edited by rusnak; 11-23-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:37 AM
robrichtx
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thanks Rusnak

Turns out it was the relay - simply some minor corrosion on the fuel pump relay. I was surprised that that could happen so quickly, but I think a replacment of the relays and fuses is in order.

She's back to running 100 percent -

Thanks!

Rob
Old 11-29-2009, 11:17 AM
HkPlinker
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 106 Posts

Just kep a couple in the glove box. Also, I would look at the wiring behind the relays. I had to splice in a heavier gauge wire and remove the spoiled factory wiring. You might want to get an extra relay (that bolts up under the driver's seat) forgot the name DE Relay, maybe?

Quick Reply: 77 911 3.0 - No Start