Car caught fire and I could use some info

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 10:19 AM
talane
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car caught fire and I could use some info

Guys,
Last night they car cought fire but I was able to put it out pretty quickly but there was some fixable damage. I am new to the 911 world and would like to know the names of the components. The fire was in the area where the fresh air is controlled (in the back of the trunk behind the carpet). There is also a control module that plugs back there that is melted. Can you tell me what these things are called.

Any ideas of what caused the fire would be helpful too. I am wondering if the control module shorted. that area was prestine before the fire. I am baffled as to what started it.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Oh, I used a gallon of Sunny Delight, pissed on it and eventually a fire extinguisher (passing motorist) to put it out.
Attached Images    
Old 11-23-2009, 10:37 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

i WONDER IF THE FRESH AIR BLOWER FAN OVERHEAED oopssorry aboiut the caps.

First things first clean up all thet fire extinguisher stuff fast cause it is very bad for anything it touches ..
There is the fresh air blower box in there , as well as the wiper motors .. Hard to tell from the pics what started it though ...
Old 11-23-2009, 02:08 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

WOW!!! never seen this one before. Did you really **** on it?!?!? The control module that is pictured is the central ecu for the factory alarm. It is hard to tell from the pics where it started I can only guess it was the fan motor that locked up and overheated but a fuse should blow long before that happens....... looks like there some odd wiring in there for something hopefully the PO didn't wire the fan direct to the battery

I had an 83' SC catch fire on me once, oil leak onto the cat. I ran into the back of a Mexican resturant up the road, grabbed their fire extinguisher off the wall and hauled *** back to the car. I had 2 Mexicans with knives running after me down the road "Senor!! Senor!! Hey Amigo!!". That must have been a sight.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:46 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is one inspired **** for sure.

I wonder if I should pull my fresh air blower and give the bearings a shot of graphite?
Old 11-23-2009, 11:44 PM
jakeflyer
Pro

BUMMER. Let us know what you find.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:03 AM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

You were lucky none of the fuel lines lit up.

I wonder if a chaffed wire caused a short.

John
Old 11-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sorry to hear about your fire.

This summer, after 4 weeks of ownership, I was driving with the fresh air blower on and suddenly there was "electrical smelling" smoke coming out of the vents. Immediately pulled over, turned the car off, pulling carpeting out, etc. but couldn't find the source. The only thing running was the blower, turned it off and started it up and didn't have any smoke... then went to drive in my first autocross. Certainly added to my nerves.

When I removed the air blower to check motor, the motor was melted. I think I was very lucky. Rebuilt the blower it works fine.

I have started to carry a 2.5 lb halon... these cars are getting old.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:04 PM
talane
Instructor

Rob,
I think that is what happeded to it. I'll get it fixed and know the next time.
Old 11-24-2009, 12:54 PM
rick-l
3rd Gear

There are pictures of parts here.

http://www.porsche.com/all/media/pdf...89_KATALOG.pdf
Old 11-24-2009, 12:58 PM
iJeremy
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Hmm... I can't help but think peeing directly into the fresh-air intake will come back to haunt you. On the plus side it should also smell like Sunny D for awhile.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:58 AM
talane
Instructor

Well, sent the car to the repair shop to get the repairs done. I was going to do it all myself but a good friend said let the experts do it, since I dont really know what started it I took his advise. Now my garage is empty and I have a hollow feeling in my gut. I guess I'll get to work on rebuilding the spare Targa Top.
Old 12-01-2009, 02:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A similar thing happened to me this morning. I had just turned on the rear window defogger, and within a minute or so, I was getting copious amounts of smoke out of the fresh air blower vents. I thought it was coming from the heater, so I turned it off. Smoke still coming. So I switched off the ignition, went to the front, and saw smoke coming from the fresh air blower area, then behind the fuse box.

I pulled fuse #6, got in, and drove away.

Edit:

I figured out what happened to me. I was working on the outside mirror motor, and the heater wires were allowed to touch inside the passenger mirror housing.
Ugh! Anyone got some exterior mirror wires for sale?

Last edited by rusnak; 12-01-2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 07:50 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

yeeeouch!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 01:56 AM
Advanced

Ouch - you have my sympathies.

I had my 944S2 split a power steering reservoir on a track day. The ATF ended up squirting on red-hot headers, the result was not quite the disaster I envisaged but all the rubber/plastic stuff on the exhaust side was trashed, the head cracked, the paint on the bonnet blistered and changed to a non-standard colour. She is getting now getting a fresh paint job and a new cam roller/belt kit... am looking forward to her return.

Another S2 owner was following me - he said all the smoke training me it was one heck-of-way to stop him passing me.

All the best with the repairs & get that powder quick-like... I think it is sodium bi-carbonate so will become corrosive fairly quickly. Use lots of clean water to wash it off.
Regs
Andrew
Old 12-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I used my fresh air blower for the first time in a couple of years last weekend. I guess no more. Glad it wasn't worse!

Also, do you actually drink that Sunny Delight stuff?

Quick Reply: Car caught fire and I could use some info