Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'83 Targa window won't stay in channel

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:03 PM
CVJR
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '83 Targa window won't stay in channel

Hello, I have a recently acquired 83 Targa. If I lower the window, it separates from the channel and drops down into the door. I tried gluing the window into the channel with silicone, still pops out. Any suggestion on how to correct this? 108K mile on the car, do I need a new regulator?
Old 11-21-2009, 09:09 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

pics ?

the window is biding .. you will have to glue the glass in properly. But it is binding on the way down and you will have to fix this. Does it even do it with the door open? You may have to take the inside of the door panel off to examine it more closely.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:45 PM
CVJR
5th Gear

Thanks for your reply. The glass does not bind (although not entirely smooth) moving up and down the track, disconnected from the rubber channel in the riser mech. I took th glass out cleaned it weel, it appears to be stock with no imperfections.

Question: What glue to use to attach glass to the rubber channel part, how do you adjust the up and down travel.

I can send a pic, what do you want to see? Chuck
Old 11-21-2009, 09:53 PM
CVJR
5th Gear

Forgot to say that the door panel is off, everthing seems smooth, no obvious binding, no clunking noises, lubrication is fine. When the riser is lowered, the glass separates toward the bottom of the run. Also, the riser goes down more that it should, at least using the glass as a reference. CV
Old 11-21-2009, 10:11 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you saying that the window glass has separated from the lifter rail? Couldn't you just glue it back together? Probably a good idea to take the glass and regulator out of the door first though.

Last edited by rusnak; 03-05-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:18 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

it is customary to post pics of your car wen you join a new car forum.. so we can welcome you and of course raz you as the "newbie"

Tough to understand though . if it is not binding gravity would keep it in. There is a fair bit of adjustment everywhere on these things.

I would suggest getting BENTLEY manual as it is going to be a must have with your car anyway .
Mine is pretty straight forward to figure out but i do dno thave power windows. I am surprised to hear it "pops out" even with silicon.
Old 11-21-2009, 10:47 PM
CVJR
5th Gear

Okay, got the picture of my '83 as the avatar. I will try to re-glue the window in the rubber channel, maybe that will do it. Thanks for the advice, i will let you know tomorrow after the glue dries. CV
Old 11-21-2009, 10:49 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try some glue called "shoe goo", that is availale at hardware stores or Walmart.

Quick Reply: '83 Targa window won't stay in channel