Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Squealing Brakes are DRIVING ME NUTS!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:59 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Squealing Brakes are DRIVING ME NUTS!

I don't know what kind of pads are on my car right now (they were on the car when I purchased it), but they are killing me. The squeaking when I pull up to a red light is embarrassing and drives me nuts. They also put out a good bit of dust. I had them checked the last time I was in the shop and they said that there was lots of meat left on them so I've decided I just need to get a better set. What's a good brand to buy that is lower in dust and DOES NOT squeak? I read a previous post (It didn't mention squeaking) that praised Mintex. Would that be a good solution?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:17 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

You probably have an aggressive brake more suited for track work. The Mintex will be cleaner and wont squeak. However, if you have a performance compound making that much noise, the rotors will have that bedded in them and new pads alone may not solve the issue.

You can also try some anti-squeal shims on the outside of the pads, they may help a bit. I've not had good experience with anti-squeal grease for noise reduction.

Doing away with the squeal may not mean getting a "better set".
Old 11-20-2009, 01:11 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. I think Pelican or Performance used to sell the stick on adhesive pads that you can stick on to the backside of the pads, between the pads and the caliper cylinders. The glue or grease is terrible. If you get the wheels off, might want to clean up the pins with a brass brush so the pads don't stick.

Edit: It just occured to me that both BHP and the Axxis/PBR/Centric "Ultimate" pads have a thick anti-squeal backing on them.

Here it is: this works http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...et%20of%20four

Last edited by rusnak; 11-20-2009 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:44 PM
1stgear
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks, guys!
Old 11-24-2009, 11:36 PM
joetiii
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar issue on my car. The squeel is most apparent in warm weather and only happens when slowing from 3 mph-0. Cold is quiet as is when stopping under hard braking.

I checked my logbook and the PO used Mintex. I have no idea if there are coatings on the back. I am looking for a set that have a bit more bite than stock and hear good things about Axxis. There PBR seems to be one step up. Anyone have experience with them for performance on an early car? quiet? bite? wear?
Old 11-25-2009, 02:28 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the regular PBR for my 914-6. They are not so good. But I know that the PBR "Ultimate Ceramic" is the same identical pad as the Axxis ULT. I'm pretty sure that PBR and Axxis are the same company. I think Centric is also part of the same group. The pads are made in Australia. I love them because they offer great initial bite, do not fade as much as stock pads, and are friendlier to rotors than many other high performance pads. The only drawback is that they put out a lot of dust, so you'll be cleaning things up more often. Personally, I think that is an ok trade-off. Pedal effort is lower than the organic pad, and pad wear is about the same. I never noticed any noise with either stock or ceramic pads. But the Axxis pads do have a noise preventing pad on the backing.

I'll report back with a picture of the Axxis pads to put into this thread.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:43 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Porterfield - the R4s

Great performance pad - low dust - no squeak - even on my oversize 993 brakes.
Old 11-26-2009, 10:28 AM
joetiii
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Called Vertex and all they have for Early S calipers is stock pads. Wheres the source?
Old 11-26-2009, 12:18 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/
Old 11-26-2009, 01:15 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
You probably have an aggressive brake more suited for track work. The Mintex will be cleaner and wont squeak. However, if you have a performance compound making that much noise, the rotors will have that bedded in them and new pads alone may not solve the issue.

You can also try some anti-squeal shims on the outside of the pads, they may help a bit. I've not had good experience with anti-squeal grease for noise reduction.

Doing away with the squeal may not mean getting a "better set".
I have switched back and forth between track and stock on my 997 and haven't had the squeal follow me back to the stock pads. Thank god. It can be a bit annoying.
Old 11-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

As a rule of thumb, the pad material gets embedded in the rotors, and it has always been my experience that when switching back and forth, the squeal always remained after going back to stock pads. I'm sure different pad and rotor materials as well as caliper designs will all do different things.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:09 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Brakes that don't squeal are girly-man brakes.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:41 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,102 Likes on 787 Posts

and Brakes that squeel are Ned Beaty Brakes
Old 11-27-2009, 12:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
Brakes that don't squeal are girly-man brakes.

Actually, once mine heat up, the noise goes down. But on the street, forget about it. I'm waiting for some smartass at a stoplight to make a comment about my brakes needing to be fixed. That's when the gauntlet goes down and I challenge them to a stop off.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:10 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

I go from the R-4 to r4s (for the street) - thankfully the squeal does not follow me in my girly man cabriolet.

Quick Reply: Squealing Brakes are DRIVING ME NUTS!