HarrisRacing's 1977 911S 2.7 build/resto log

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 01:17 PM
HarrisRacing
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile HarrisRacing's 1977 911S 2.7 build/resto log

Greetings,

While not new to the sportscar world, I am new to Porsches. I am always on the lookout for the next project, and have thought Porsches a bit expensive to get into until now. I stumbled upon a 1977 911S Coupe w/ sunroof for sale (US)that was just 20 minutes from my house and just HAD to get it. I did as much research as I could and thouroughly inspected the car before purchase and took a slight gamble that it would pan out as a working car (restorable) instead of a parts car. The owner had receipts dated 2004 or so for all kinds of work on the motor (head R&R, thread inserts - I'm guessing in the case, cam issues, etc), and more receipts from 2007 for ignition, points, etc, but the car had not run since sometime in 2007. I'm not scared to rebuild or work on ANYTHING, but I wanted to make sure I was getting something for the $$$. He had neglected it and said it never had run "properly". The car has 112.5k miles on it, but the work dated in 2004 states the car had only 111k when they did it. At first I found it hard to believe, but the more I read the more I realize that it must not have run good enough for anyone to drive after the first rebuild. Also I found out that the first owner died and widow sold it to the guy I bought it from. I did check and the ODO still works, so this really means the car didn't move much.

So, it wouldn't start when I bought it and there are lots of issues that need to be addressed.

The good:
The thermal reactors were replaced by some shorty headers
Someone back-dated the exhaust
The pressure-fed tensioners are on the car
The lower Turbo valve covers are on (stock 911s covers are in place on top)
New points, new cap, and new rotor on the car
The body is VERY straight!
Looks like new style chain covers are on the car (if there's such a thing)
Interior is in OK shape, but dash is NOT CRACKED *very* nice for the age.
A/C car, but I don't plan on keeping it.
ALL trim and glass are on the car.

The bad:
The ignition was shot. There was an old PERMATUNE CDI box on the car and a new Bosch "made in Brazil" coil on it. Permatune says that those coils are common for destroying thier box...yep it was dead.
Major rust between front a-arms. Nothing that I don't think I can fix, but needs to be fixed to drive.
Sunroof is frozen - don't really want to mess with this yet
Car is in just bad enough condition to take apart now and start full restoration .
Wiring issues - old car, old wires...nuff said. Everything seems to work right now, but I know I saw smoke come out from the hood area. No clue on what that was, but everything else seems to work for now. I will address later.
It's a 2.7L car. We all know they CAN be made reliable, and this one is well on it's way. I will make it work and plan on keeping the 2.7.
The engine mount is cracked where it bolts on. I need to remove it and repair before driving.
One of the brake calipers was frozen - need to repair - might as well do all of them.

What I have done so far:
First of all, I pulled the A/C off the car to be able to actually service the car. It didn't have a standard bracket like what I am seeing in the books - it was a one piece plate and was VERY difficult to remove compared to the others I see. It's still a York compressor.

I pulled the plugs and pulled the fuel pump relay to do compression test. Battery was low on left bank so these numbers were low (135, 130, 135), but I put a charger on before doing the right side and got (150,145, 145). I replaced the plugs and tried to start - No spark, but random fuel (smelled old). I drained lots of fuel and filled with new. Not a killer amount of rust present, but this was AFTER the fuel filter (I just pumped it out with fuel pump).

SO after much research I found that the CDI was bad (permatune). Looking at replacements I decided that this project was going to turn into a "fun" car and not a full restoration so I went with the STREET FIRE CDI from MSD. It has the build-in rev-limiter that's adjustable every 100 rpms, and It is smaller than 6A so it fits in the stock location very well. It was also only $129.99. I read while I was hooking it up that it needs the new style wires (not strand core) and I got even more creative. I bought an ACCEL V8 build it yourself spark plug wire kit (in yellow) for $39 and unscrewed the stock ends, cut wires to length, and screwed these in. They are 8mm and a nice radio suppressive wire. They work PERFECTLY! I will replace them with Clewett or Magnecor later, but for now this works fine. I also picked up an Accel coil for $32 and a couple of hours later this thing fired up!! Yes you read right, a complete CDI replacement including coil and custom wires costed $201 and I bought it all from Pep Boys and didn't have to wait at all to get it.

Video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qux-JfLQX4I

Pictures here: http://photos.streetfire.net/album/1...1S_1863826.htm

It still has a miss from what I think is a bad / stuck / leaking injector and I think the vacuum advance is not working because the vacuum line is shot. I will be going through the CIS shortly to troubleshoot it.

So, as of now, I have a good bit more work before taking it on the first drive, but I sure am excited about it.

I don't want to tell what I paid, as I think it was deal of the century, but we'll see what you guys think it's worth soon.

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!
Patrick Harris
Old 11-12-2009, 12:40 AM
HarrisRacing
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche RUNS!!!

I had the timing way out and I cleaned the injectors.

WOW it runs perfectly!

New video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L31d9Ld-M8s

Patrick

Quick Reply: HarrisRacing's 1977 911S 2.7 build/resto log